Chocolate Sambuca Gelato
From EatingWell: January/February 1991
This Italian-inspired dessert is velvety in texture. Milk powder added to the mix inhibits the formation of ice crystals.
- 2 large eggs
- 4 large egg yolks
- 2/3 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 2/3 cup granulated sugar
- 1/2 cup corn syrup
- 1/3 cup fat-free milk powder
- 3 cups fat-free milk, divided
- 3 tablespoons sambuca, (anise liqueur)
- Whisk together whole eggs, egg yolks, cocoa, sugar, corn syrup, milk powder and 1/2 cup milk in a large bowl.
- Heat remaining 2 1/2 cups milk in a heavy saucepan until steaming. Gradually whisk the hot milk into the egg mixture. Return the mixture to the pan and cook over medium-high heat, stirring constantly with a wooden spoon for about 5 minutes, or until the custard is thick enough to coat a spoon. Do not boil, or the custard will curdle.
- Remove from heat, strain through a fine sieve into a clean bowl or immediately transfer to a clean bowl. Stir in sambuca. Cool, cover and refrigerate until thoroughly chilled. Freeze in an ice cream maker, following manufacturer's instructions.
Per serving: 231 calories; 5 g fat (2 g sat, 2 g mono); 157 mg cholesterol; 42 g carbohydrates; 10 g protein; 2 g fiber; 109 mg sodium; 381 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Calcium (23% daily value), Selenium (18% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 3
Exchanges: 3 other carbohydrate
More From EatingWell
If you work out in the morning, refuel with one of these...
Our healthy Labor Day recipes are a delicious way to...
One-pot recipes are the perfect solution for easy weeknight...
Our healthy stir-fry recipes are full of fiber-rich...
Packed with a bounty of nutrients as well as fiber, green...
Store-bought packaged foods can make cooking or baking easier...
Whether grilled, seared, broiled, baked or made into burgers...
Whether you’re roasting beets, serving them sliced on a salad...
Celebrate summer with our summer dessert recipes made with...In the dog days of summer, you don’t have to turn on your stove...
When summer tomatoes from backyard gardens and farmstands hit...
In celebration of EatingWell's 10th anniversary we picked our...
These easy weeknight suppers are inspired by the bountiful...
Take advantage of summer's bounty of fresh produce with these...
Muffin tins are great for making more than just muffins,...
Use your charcoal grill or gas grill for more than just...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- More than 1 hour
- 8 or more
- Preparation/ Technique
- Ice Cream Maker
- January/February 1991