Chocolate Sambuca Gelato
From EatingWell: January/February 1991
This Italian-inspired dessert is velvety in texture. Milk powder added to the mix inhibits the formation of ice crystals.
- 2 large eggs
- 4 large egg yolks
- 2/3 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 2/3 cup granulated sugar
- 1/2 cup corn syrup
- 1/3 cup fat-free milk powder
- 3 cups fat-free milk, divided
- 3 tablespoons sambuca, (anise liqueur)
- Whisk together whole eggs, egg yolks, cocoa, sugar, corn syrup, milk powder and 1/2 cup milk in a large bowl.
- Heat remaining 2 1/2 cups milk in a heavy saucepan until steaming. Gradually whisk the hot milk into the egg mixture. Return the mixture to the pan and cook over medium-high heat, stirring constantly with a wooden spoon for about 5 minutes, or until the custard is thick enough to coat a spoon. Do not boil, or the custard will curdle.
- Remove from heat, strain through a fine sieve into a clean bowl or immediately transfer to a clean bowl. Stir in sambuca. Cool, cover and refrigerate until thoroughly chilled. Freeze in an ice cream maker, following manufacturer's instructions.
Per serving: 231 calories; 5 g fat (2 g sat, 2 g mono); 157 mg cholesterol; 42 g carbohydrates; 10 g protein; 2 g fiber; 109 mg sodium; 381 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Calcium (23% daily value), Selenium (18% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 3
Exchanges: 3 other carbohydrate
More From EatingWell
Omega-3 fats are good for your heart and are found in fish...
These healthy sugar-free dessert recipes are a delicious and...
Stir-fries are an easy way to get dinner on the table fast...
Whether you're looking for a quick breakfast or a refreshing...
If you’re trying to slim down, our low-calorie dinners to...
Carbs have gotten a bad rap as a diet no-no, but whole grains...
When you’re trying to lose weight, you don’t need to skimp on...
The next time you’re thinking about ordering takeout, put...
Fresh seasonal produce offers plenty of reasons to try one of...
Baking a cake from scratch doesn’t have to be time-intensive...
There’s something oh-so-soothing about a bowl of creamy...
Our nutritionists have verified that these recipes do not...
Homemade desserts, including piping-hot apple pie, rich...
If you’re searching for an affordable and healthy meal for...
Our healthy lasagna recipes, including classic meat lasagna...
Make sure you have a quick and easy dinner ready to go next...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- More than 1 hour
- 8 or more
- Preparation/ Technique
- Ice Cream Maker
- January/February 1991