Chocolate Sambuca Gelato
From EatingWell: January/February 1991
This Italian-inspired dessert is velvety in texture. Milk powder added to the mix inhibits the formation of ice crystals.
- 2 large eggs
- 4 large egg yolks
- 2/3 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 2/3 cup granulated sugar
- 1/2 cup corn syrup
- 1/3 cup fat-free milk powder
- 3 cups fat-free milk, divided
- 3 tablespoons sambuca, (anise liqueur)
- Whisk together whole eggs, egg yolks, cocoa, sugar, corn syrup, milk powder and 1/2 cup milk in a large bowl.
- Heat remaining 2 1/2 cups milk in a heavy saucepan until steaming. Gradually whisk the hot milk into the egg mixture. Return the mixture to the pan and cook over medium-high heat, stirring constantly with a wooden spoon for about 5 minutes, or until the custard is thick enough to coat a spoon. Do not boil, or the custard will curdle.
- Remove from heat, strain through a fine sieve into a clean bowl or immediately transfer to a clean bowl. Stir in sambuca. Cool, cover and refrigerate until thoroughly chilled. Freeze in an ice cream maker, following manufacturer's instructions.
Per serving: 231 calories; 5 g fat (2 g sat, 2 g mono); 157 mg cholesterol; 42 g carbohydrates; 10 g protein; 2 g fiber; 109 mg sodium; 381 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Calcium (23% daily value), Selenium (18% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 3
Exchanges: 3 other carbohydrate
More From EatingWell
Onions are the perfect accompaniment to almost any savory...
Pesto is an easy way to add flavor without tons of extra...
Having a snack attack? Stock your fridge and pantry with...
Coffee is a healthy and flavorful addition to many desserts...
Coconut is a sweet addition to many healthy breakfast recipes...
The health perks of coffee only add to it's appeal for coffee...
If you’re looking for healthier food to enjoy during the...
Lentils are a versatile, budget-friendly and healthy addition...
Pork chops are a versatile and budget-friendly option for...
Apple recipes are a favorite fall fruit, whether you enjoy...
Make sure you have a quick and easy dinner ready to go next...
If you like your food hot—spicy, that is—we've got some...
Mediterranean cuisine is delicious: it’s rich in fruits,...
This Valentine’s Day, stay in with the ones you love and make...
Ring in the Chinese New Year with these healthy Chinese...
From grilled steak to creamy chicken, our quick and healthy...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- More than 1 hour
- 8 or more
- Preparation/ Technique
- Ice Cream Maker
- January/February 1991