Chocolate Sambuca Gelato
From EatingWell: January/February 1991
This Italian-inspired dessert is velvety in texture. Milk powder added to the mix inhibits the formation of ice crystals.
- 2 large eggs
- 4 large egg yolks
- 2/3 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 2/3 cup granulated sugar
- 1/2 cup corn syrup
- 1/3 cup fat-free milk powder
- 3 cups fat-free milk, divided
- 3 tablespoons sambuca, (anise liqueur)
- Whisk together whole eggs, egg yolks, cocoa, sugar, corn syrup, milk powder and 1/2 cup milk in a large bowl.
- Heat remaining 2 1/2 cups milk in a heavy saucepan until steaming. Gradually whisk the hot milk into the egg mixture. Return the mixture to the pan and cook over medium-high heat, stirring constantly with a wooden spoon for about 5 minutes, or until the custard is thick enough to coat a spoon. Do not boil, or the custard will curdle.
- Remove from heat, strain through a fine sieve into a clean bowl or immediately transfer to a clean bowl. Stir in sambuca. Cool, cover and refrigerate until thoroughly chilled. Freeze in an ice cream maker, following manufacturer's instructions.
Per serving: 231 calories; 5 g fat (2 g sat, 2 g mono); 157 mg cholesterol; 42 g carbohydrates; 10 g protein; 2 g fiber; 109 mg sodium; 381 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Calcium (23% daily value), Selenium (18% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 3
Exchanges: 3 other carbohydrate
More From EatingWell
These healthy fruit bars are the perfect snack to put in your...
Celebrate summer with our summer dessert recipes made with...This collection of healthy potluck recipes is full of crowd-...These healthy bean salad recipes bring fresh summery life to the...
Brownies and blondies are crowd-pleasing desserts for any...
Our low-calorie pasta salad recipes will be a favorite dish...
Whether you're looking for a quick breakfast or a refreshing...
A tall glass of iced tea on a hot day is refreshing, and it...
If you’re in a rush and thinking about skipping breakfast,...
Using healthy ingredients such as nuts, dried fruit and whole...
Spinach might have made Popeye strong, but what he probably...
There’s no better way to celebrate Mother’s Day than by...
Sunscreen helps keep your skin healthy and beautiful,...
Save your waistline and your wallet with these quick and...
Our breakfast casserole recipes are a satisfying way to start...
We love Mexican meals, but often the differences between...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- More than 1 hour
- 8 or more
- Preparation/ Technique
- Ice Cream Maker
- January/February 1991