Chocolate Sambuca Gelato
From EatingWell: January/February 1991
This Italian-inspired dessert is velvety in texture. Milk powder added to the mix inhibits the formation of ice crystals.
- 2 large eggs
- 4 large egg yolks
- 2/3 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 2/3 cup granulated sugar
- 1/2 cup corn syrup
- 1/3 cup fat-free milk powder
- 3 cups fat-free milk, divided
- 3 tablespoons sambuca, (anise liqueur)
- Whisk together whole eggs, egg yolks, cocoa, sugar, corn syrup, milk powder and 1/2 cup milk in a large bowl.
- Heat remaining 2 1/2 cups milk in a heavy saucepan until steaming. Gradually whisk the hot milk into the egg mixture. Return the mixture to the pan and cook over medium-high heat, stirring constantly with a wooden spoon for about 5 minutes, or until the custard is thick enough to coat a spoon. Do not boil, or the custard will curdle.
- Remove from heat, strain through a fine sieve into a clean bowl or immediately transfer to a clean bowl. Stir in sambuca. Cool, cover and refrigerate until thoroughly chilled. Freeze in an ice cream maker, following manufacturer's instructions.
Per serving: 231 calories; 5 g fat (2 g sat, 2 g mono); 157 mg cholesterol; 42 g carbohydrates; 10 g protein; 2 g fiber; 109 mg sodium; 381 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Calcium (23% daily value), Selenium (18% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 3
Exchanges: 3 other carbohydrate
More From EatingWell
Fresh, sun-ripened tomatoes not only taste wonderful, they...
Add these healthy and delicious recipes to your gluten-free...
When summer tomatoes from backyard gardens and farmstands hit...
When the produce section looks bleak, turn to the freezer....
If you’re craving an easy dessert tonight, we have just what...
The Meatless Monday movement is growing in popularity across...
Potassium plays a vital role in keeping your heart healthy...
Go beyond the gin and tonic this summer and mix up cocktails...
In the hot months of summer, cool down with a refreshing and...
Our nonalcoholic drink recipes, or “mocktails,” are festive...
Kick back and enjoy one of our delicious healthy summer punch...
During the busy workweek, these no-cook dinner recipes are...
Quinoa is a superfood that is packed with fiber and protein...
Fresh leeks are a delicious addition to many recipes. These...
Farmers’ markets and gardens are full of fresh and delicious...
Sardines (Pacific, wild-caught) are one of the healthiest...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- More than 1 hour
- 8 or more
- Preparation/ Technique
- Ice Cream Maker
- January/February 1991