Chocolate-Raspberry Icebox Torte
Layers of hazelnut-and-chocolate meringue meld with refreshing raspberry sorbet. This cake should be made the day before serving.
- 1/3 cup hazelnuts, (2 ounces)
- 2/3 cup confectioners' sugar, plus more for dusting
- 1/4 cup unsweetened cocoa powder, preferably Dutch-process
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 5 large egg whites, at room temperature
- 1/4 teaspoon cream of tartar
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 3 cups raspberry sorbet
- 1 pint fresh raspberries
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Line two 18-by-12-inch baking sheets with parchment paper. Draw 3 circles on the paper using an 8-inch cake pan or plate as a guide. Turn the paper over; the lines will show through. (Alternatively, line two baking sheets with aluminum foil, lightly coat with nonstick cooking spray and dust with flour, shaking off excess. Trace the circles onto the foil with your fingertip.)
- Spread hazelnuts in a pie plate and bake until lightly toasted and fragrant, 8 to 12 minutes. If hazelnuts have skins, place them on a clean kitchen towel, fold the towel over and rub off as much skin as you can. Let cool. Reduce the oven temperature to 250°F.
- Place the toasted hazelnuts, confectioners' sugar, cocoa and cornstarch in a food processor; process until the nuts are ground.
- Beat egg whites and cream of tartar on low speed in the bowl of an electric mixer until frothy. Gradually increase the mixer speed to high. When the whites begin to form soft peaks, decrease the speed to medium and slowly beat in sugar, 1 tablespoon at a time. Add vanilla; continue beating until the meringue is glossy and stiff peaks form. Sprinkle the reserved hazelnut-cocoa mixture over the meringue and fold in with a large rubber spatula just until mixed.
- Spoon the meringue into a piping bag fitted with a 1/2-inch open-star tip. Pipe a layer of meringue in a tight spiral to fill each circle on the prepared baking sheet. (Alternatively, spread the meringue onto the circles with a spatula.)
- Bake the meringue layers until golden and firm to the touch, 50 to 70 minutes. Let cool on baking sheets on racks, then carefully peel off the paper or foil.
- Let sorbet soften in the refrigerator for about 30 minutes. Carefully trim the meringue layers to fit snugly into an 8-inch springform pan. Set a meringue layer in the bottom of the pan and spread half of the sorbet evenly over the meringue. Set the second meringue layer on top of the sorbet. Cover with the remaining sorbet and the third meringue layer. Cover the torte with plastic wrap and freeze overnight or for up to 5 days.
- Before serving, let the torte soften in the refrigerator for about 30 minutes. Run a sharp knife around the edge of the pan to loosen the cake. Transfer to a cake plate and dust with confectioners' sugar. Garnish with fresh raspberries.
Tips & Notes
- Make Ahead Tip: Store well-wrapped in the freezer for up to 5 days. Let soften in the refrigerator for 30 minutes before serving.
Per serving: 228 calories; 4 g fat (0 g sat, 3 g mono); 0 mg cholesterol; 48 g carbohydrates; 3 g protein; 4 g fiber; 29 mg sodium; 144 mg potassium.
Carbohydrate Servings: 3
Exchanges: 3 other carbohydrate, 1 fat
More From EatingWell
Our easy holiday appetizer recipes are great for a holiday...
Citrus fruit, such as grapefruit, lemons, limes and oranges,...
Kale and other dark leafy greens are a flavorful, vitamin-...
Making a quick and healthy dinner when you really pressed for...
A piping hot bowl of soup is the ultimate comfort food during...
Decadent cream-based soups are typically loaded with...
Enjoy seasonal fresh fruit even in winter with these healthy...
Winter salads can taste like a refreshing start to those...
Save money on food during the holiday season but still eat...
Pasta is a favorite comfort food—it’s quick, easy to cook and...
Picture this: You arrive home tired and frazzled, and the...
Our gluten-free cookie recipes are a healthy and delicious...
Whether you’re making Christmas cookies for your annual...
End your holiday meal on a sweet note with our healthy...
Spend more time with friends and family and less time in the...
Our festive holiday cocktails, including healthy recipes for...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- More than 1 hour
- 8 or more