From EatingWell: January/February 2013
Satisfy your sweet tooth (and your salty tooth!) simultaneously with this chocolate-dipped pretzel recipe. Cocoa nibs give these chocolate-dipped pretzels an extra layer of chocolaty flavor.
- 1/2 cup bittersweet chocolate chips
- 24 pretzel twists, preferably whole-wheat, or 12 pretzel rods, broken in half
- 2 tablespoons cocoa nibs (see Tip)
- Line a baking sheet with parchment or wax paper.
- Place chocolate chips in a small glass bowl. Microwave on Medium for 1 minute. Stir, then continue microwaving on in 20-second intervals until melted, stirring after each interval. (Alternatively, melt in the top of a double boiler over hot, but not boiling, water.)
- Dip half of each pretzel piece into the melted chocolate. Let the excess drip back into the bowl. Place the dipped pieces on the prepared baking sheet. Sprinkle cocoa nibs over the chocolate. Refrigerate until the chocolate is set, about 30 minutes.
Tips & Notes
- Make Ahead Tip: Store in an airtight container at room temperature for up to 3 days.
- Tip: Cocoa nibs, which are bits of roasted and hulled cocoa beans, are crunchy and have a pure (unsweetened) chocolate taste. Some brands of nibs are coarser than others. You can find them at large grocery stores, gourmet retailers or online at chocosphere.com.
Per serving: 35 calories; 2 g fat (1 g sat, 0 g mono); 0 mg cholesterol; 6 g carbohydrates; 2 g added sugars; 1 g protein; 1 g fiber; 8 mg sodium; 17 mg potassium.
Carbohydrate Servings: 1/2
Exchanges: 1/2 fat
More From EatingWell
Omega-3 fats are good for your heart and are found in fish...
These healthy sugar-free dessert recipes are a delicious and...
Stir-fries are an easy way to get dinner on the table fast...
Whether you're looking for a quick breakfast or a refreshing...
If you’re trying to slim down, our low-calorie dinners to...
Carbs have gotten a bad rap as a diet no-no, but whole grains...
When you’re trying to lose weight, you don’t need to skimp on...
The next time you’re thinking about ordering takeout, put...
Fresh seasonal produce offers plenty of reasons to try one of...
Baking a cake from scratch doesn’t have to be time-intensive...
There’s something oh-so-soothing about a bowl of creamy...
Our nutritionists have verified that these recipes do not...
Homemade desserts, including piping-hot apple pie, rich...
If you’re searching for an affordable and healthy meal for...
Our healthy lasagna recipes, including classic meat lasagna...
Make sure you have a quick and easy dinner ready to go next...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 45 minutes or less
- 8 or more
- Main Ingredient
- Vegetarian, other
- Preparation/ Technique
- Health & Diet Considerations
- Low carbohydrate
- January/February 2013