Chocolate Potato Cake
From EatingWell: January/February 1991
The surprise ingredient in this chocolate cake—mashed potatoes—keeps it exceptionally moist.
- 1 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup canola oil
- 2 large eggs
- 1/2 cup cold, plain, mashed potatoes
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/3 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- Pinch nutmeg
- Pinch salt
- 1/2 cup buttermilk
- Confectioner's sugar, for dusting cake
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Lightly oil a 9-inch round cake pan and line the base with wax or parchment paper.
- Whisk together sugar, oil and eggs in a large mixing bowl. Whisk in potatoes. Stir together flour, cocoa, baking powder, cinnamon, baking soda, nutmeg and salt in another bowl. Alternately add the dry ingredients and the buttermilk to the egg mixture, beginning and ending with the dry ingredients and stirring with a spoon or rubber spatula.
- Spoon the batter into the prepared pan. Bake until the top springs back when touched lightly, 30 to 35 minutes. Let cool on a rack for 10 minutes. Invert the cake onto a rack and let cool thoroughly. Transfer to a plate and sift confectioners’ sugar over top.
Per serving: 222 calories; 11 g fat (1 g sat, 6 g mono); 36 mg cholesterol; 30 g carbohydrates; 3 g protein; 1 g fiber; 107 mg sodium; 104 mg potassium.
Carbohydrate Servings: 2
Exchanges: 2 other carbohydrates, 2 fat
More From EatingWell
On a weekend morning, there’s nothing better than a hot stack...
Skip the store-bought candies and make your own! Try our...
Whether you’re vegan or entertaining a vegan guest for...
Thanksgiving dinner isn’t complete without an apple pie or...
The season of decorative holiday cookies is one of the most...
Whether you're looking for a quick breakfast or a refreshing...
Sweet potato casserole is a traditional Thanksgiving side...
Chicken is always a favorite for anyone looking for a protein...
The tartness of fresh cranberries is a flavorful addition to...
Make your own pickles! Get the most out of summer’s bounty by...
A piping-hot bowl of soup is a satisfying meal for a cozy...
Our healthy carrot recipes will help you get your fill of...
In just 10 minutes, make a delicious Thanksgiving appetizer...
Don't let muffins fool you: they may sound healthy, but many...
When it’s chilly outside, there’s no better way to warm up...
Wake up with these delicious and healthy recipes for homemade...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- More than 1 hour
- 8 or more
- Preparation/ Technique
- Super Bowl
- January/February 1991