Chocolate Potato Cake
From EatingWell: January/February 1991
The surprise ingredient in this chocolate cake—mashed potatoes—keeps it exceptionally moist.
- 1 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup canola oil
- 2 large eggs
- 1/2 cup cold, plain, mashed potatoes
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/3 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- Pinch nutmeg
- Pinch salt
- 1/2 cup buttermilk
- Confectioner's sugar, for dusting cake
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Lightly oil a 9-inch round cake pan and line the base with wax or parchment paper.
- Whisk together sugar, oil and eggs in a large mixing bowl. Whisk in potatoes. Stir together flour, cocoa, baking powder, cinnamon, baking soda, nutmeg and salt in another bowl. Alternately add the dry ingredients and the buttermilk to the egg mixture, beginning and ending with the dry ingredients and stirring with a spoon or rubber spatula.
- Spoon the batter into the prepared pan. Bake until the top springs back when touched lightly, 30 to 35 minutes. Let cool on a rack for 10 minutes. Invert the cake onto a rack and let cool thoroughly. Transfer to a plate and sift confectioners’ sugar over top.
Per serving: 222 calories; 11 g fat (1 g sat, 6 g mono); 36 mg cholesterol; 30 g carbohydrates; 3 g protein; 1 g fiber; 107 mg sodium; 104 mg potassium.
Carbohydrate Servings: 2
Exchanges: 2 other carbohydrates, 2 fat
More From EatingWell
If you're looking for an easy, healthy meal idea for dinner...
Whether you’re celebrating Cinco de Mayo or throwing a...
Few things are closer to perfection than the first sweet...
Trying to clean up your diet? These low-calorie recipes are...
Make your own pickles! Get the most out of summer’s bounty by...
Whether you’re packing a healthy snack for yourself or your...
This Memorial Day, throw a barbecue or picnic with these...
Try making a healthy summer dip recipe or summer salsa recipe...
You won’t waste half a day’s worth—or more—of calories with...
Whether you're looking for a quick breakfast or a refreshing...
Fresh seasonal produce offers plenty of reasons to try one of...
Barbecue sauce, rubs and marinades are easy, healthy ways to...
Everyone loves a good, juicy burger recipe! But hamburgers...
As delicious as eating healthy can be, we all still crave our...
Whether grilled, seared, broiled, baked or made into burgers...
These easy weeknight suppers are inspired by the bountiful...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- More than 1 hour
- 8 or more
- Preparation/ Technique
- Super Bowl
- January/February 1991