Chocolate & Pecan Macaroons
From EatingWell: November/December 2010
We love the rich chocolate flavor in these chewy cookies that are like a cross between higher-fat coconut macaroons and low-fat, low-calorie, egg-white-based meringues.
- 3 large egg whites, at room temperature (see Tips)
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 6 ounces unsweetened chocolate, melted (see Tips)
- 1 cup sweetened flaked coconut
- 3/4 cup pecans, finely chopped
- 1 tablespoon confectioners’ sugar for dusting (optional)
- Position racks in the upper and lower thirds of oven; preheat to 350°F. Line 2 large baking sheets with parchment paper, nonstick baking mats or lightly coat with cooking spray.
- Beat egg whites and salt in a mixing bowl with an electric mixer on high speed until frothy. Gradually add sugar and continue beating until soft peaks form, about 5 minutes.
- With a rubber spatula, gently fold melted chocolate, coconut and pecans into the egg whites until no white streaks remain.
- Drop 2 teaspoons of batter per cookie about 1 inch apart onto the prepared baking sheets, fitting about 30 cookies per sheet.
- Bake until set, 10 to 12 minutes. Turn off the oven and leave the macaroons in with the door slightly ajar for 30 minutes. Remove from the oven and let cool completely. Dust with confectioners’ sugar just before serving, if desired.
Tips & Notes
- Make Ahead Tip: Store airtight for up to 3 days. Dust with confectioners’ sugar just before serving.
- Tips: To bring an egg to room temperature, set it on the counter for 15 minutes or submerge it (in the shell) in a bowl of lukewarm (not hot) water for 5 minutes.
- To melt chocolate, microwave on Medium for 1 minute. Stir, then continue microwaving on Medium, stirring every 20 seconds, until melted. Or place chocolate in the top of a double boiler over hot, but not boiling, water. Stir until melted.
Per cookie: 44 calories; 3 g fat (1 g sat, 1 g mono); 0 mg cholesterol; 5 g carbohydrates; 4 g added sugars; 1 g protein; 1 g fiber; 12 mg sodium; 37 mg potassium.
Carbohydrate Servings: 0
Exchanges: 1 fat
More From EatingWell
When you need a little pick-me up, skip the sugar-laden energy...
The Meatless Monday movement is growing in popularity across...
If you work out in the morning, refuel with one of these...
Few things are more satisfying on a chilly night than a...
Sunscreen helps keep your skin healthy and beautiful,...
Baked potatoes are the perfect accompaniment to your favorite...
These quick dinner recipes are tastier, healthier versions of...
A great salad deserves a great dressing. So we've created...
These delicious slim-down dinners all clock in at just 400...
Spaghetti squash is the ultimate pasta impostor: it is a...
These spicy recipes are packed with flavor and metabolism-...
The DASH diet (Dietary Approaches to Stop Hypertension) may...
Weeknight meals are made easy with these 20-minute, low-...
The next time you’re thinking about ordering takeout, put...
When you surround yourself with healthy and delicious food,...
If you’re trying to slim down, our low-calorie dinners to...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- More than 1 hour
- Type of Dish
- Baked Goods, bars & cookies
- 8 or more
- Preparation/ Technique
- November/December 2010