Chocolate & Pecan Macaroons
From EatingWell: November/December 2010
We love the rich chocolate flavor in these chewy cookies that are like a cross between higher-fat coconut macaroons and low-fat, low-calorie, egg-white-based meringues.
- 3 large egg whites, at room temperature (see Tips)
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 6 ounces unsweetened chocolate, melted (see Tips)
- 1 cup sweetened flaked coconut
- 3/4 cup pecans, finely chopped
- 1 tablespoon confectioners’ sugar for dusting (optional)
- Position racks in the upper and lower thirds of oven; preheat to 350°F. Line 2 large baking sheets with parchment paper, nonstick baking mats or lightly coat with cooking spray.
- Beat egg whites and salt in a mixing bowl with an electric mixer on high speed until frothy. Gradually add sugar and continue beating until soft peaks form, about 5 minutes.
- With a rubber spatula, gently fold melted chocolate, coconut and pecans into the egg whites until no white streaks remain.
- Drop 2 teaspoons of batter per cookie about 1 inch apart onto the prepared baking sheets, fitting about 30 cookies per sheet.
- Bake until set, 10 to 12 minutes. Turn off the oven and leave the macaroons in with the door slightly ajar for 30 minutes. Remove from the oven and let cool completely. Dust with confectioners’ sugar just before serving, if desired.
Tips & Notes
- Make Ahead Tip: Store airtight for up to 3 days. Dust with confectioners’ sugar just before serving.
- Tips: To bring an egg to room temperature, set it on the counter for 15 minutes or submerge it (in the shell) in a bowl of lukewarm (not hot) water for 5 minutes.
- To melt chocolate, microwave on Medium for 1 minute. Stir, then continue microwaving on Medium, stirring every 20 seconds, until melted. Or place chocolate in the top of a double boiler over hot, but not boiling, water. Stir until melted.
Per cookie: 44 calories; 3 g fat (1 g sat, 1 g mono); 0 mg cholesterol; 5 g carbohydrates; 4 g added sugars; 1 g protein; 1 g fiber; 12 mg sodium; 37 mg potassium.
Carbohydrate Servings: 0
Exchanges: 1 fat
More From EatingWell
Onions are the perfect accompaniment to almost any savory...
Pesto is an easy way to add flavor without tons of extra...
Having a snack attack? Stock your fridge and pantry with...
Coffee is a healthy and flavorful addition to many desserts...
Coconut is a sweet addition to many healthy breakfast recipes...
The health perks of coffee only add to it's appeal for coffee...
If you’re looking for healthier food to enjoy during the...
Lentils are a versatile, budget-friendly and healthy addition...
Pork chops are a versatile and budget-friendly option for...
Apple recipes are a favorite fall fruit, whether you enjoy...
Make sure you have a quick and easy dinner ready to go next...
If you like your food hot—spicy, that is—we've got some...
Mediterranean cuisine is delicious: it’s rich in fruits,...
This Valentine’s Day, stay in with the ones you love and make...
Ring in the Chinese New Year with these healthy Chinese...
From grilled steak to creamy chicken, our quick and healthy...
- Total Time
- More than 1 hour
- Type of Dish
- Baked Goods, bars & cookies
- 8 or more
- Preparation/ Technique
- Ease of Preparation
- November/December 2010