From EatingWell: Winter 2003
Chocolate and orange are a sublime pairing. This is a good lower-fat chocolate sauce for ice cream, cake or fruit fondue.
- 1/2 cup packed light brown sugar
- 1/3 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 3/4 cup 1% milk
- 2 ounces bittersweet or semisweet chocolate, chopped
- 1 tablespoon orange liqueur
- Whisk sugar and cocoa in a small heavy saucepan. Gradually whisk in milk until a smooth paste forms. Bring to a simmer, whisking constantly. Reduce heat to low and simmer, whisking constantly, for 4 minutes. Remove from heat and add chocolate; stir until melted. Stir in orange-poaching syrup (or orange liqueur). Let cool.
Tips & Notes
- Make Ahead Tip: Cover and refrigerate for up to 2 weeks.
Per tablespoon: 54 calories; 1 g fat (1 g sat, 0 g mono); 1 mg cholesterol; 10 g carbohydrates; 1 g protein; 1 g fiber; 7 mg sodium; 27 mg potassium.
Carbohydrate Servings: 1/2
Exchanges: 1/2 other carbohydrate
More From EatingWell
Fresh, sun-ripened tomatoes not only taste wonderful, they...
Add these healthy and delicious recipes to your gluten-free...
When summer tomatoes from backyard gardens and farmstands hit...
When the produce section looks bleak, turn to the freezer....
If you’re craving an easy dessert tonight, we have just what...
The Meatless Monday movement is growing in popularity across...
Potassium plays a vital role in keeping your heart healthy...
Go beyond the gin and tonic this summer and mix up cocktails...
In the hot months of summer, cool down with a refreshing and...
Our nonalcoholic drink recipes, or “mocktails,” are festive...
Kick back and enjoy one of our delicious healthy summer punch...
During the busy workweek, these no-cook dinner recipes are...
Quinoa is a superfood that is packed with fiber and protein...
Fresh leeks are a delicious addition to many recipes. These...
Farmers’ markets and gardens are full of fresh and delicious...
Sardines (Pacific, wild-caught) are one of the healthiest...
- 8 or more
- Valentine's Day
- Type of Dish
- Sauce/Condiment, sweet
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 45 minutes or less
- Winter 2003