From EatingWell: Winter 2003
Chocolate and orange are a sublime pairing. This is a good lower-fat chocolate sauce for ice cream, cake or fruit fondue.
- 1/2 cup packed light brown sugar
- 1/3 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 3/4 cup 1% milk
- 2 ounces bittersweet or semisweet chocolate, chopped
- 1 tablespoon orange liqueur
- Whisk sugar and cocoa in a small heavy saucepan. Gradually whisk in milk until a smooth paste forms. Bring to a simmer, whisking constantly. Reduce heat to low and simmer, whisking constantly, for 4 minutes. Remove from heat and add chocolate; stir until melted. Stir in orange-poaching syrup (or orange liqueur). Let cool.
Tips & Notes
- Make Ahead Tip: Cover and refrigerate for up to 2 weeks.
Per tablespoon: 54 calories; 1 g fat (1 g sat, 0 g mono); 1 mg cholesterol; 10 g carbohydrates; 1 g protein; 1 g fiber; 7 mg sodium; 27 mg potassium.
Carbohydrate Servings: 1/2
Exchanges: 1/2 other carbohydrate
More From EatingWell
When you need a little pick-me up, skip the sugar-laden energy...
The Meatless Monday movement is growing in popularity across...
If you work out in the morning, refuel with one of these...
Few things are more satisfying on a chilly night than a...
Sunscreen helps keep your skin healthy and beautiful,...
Baked potatoes are the perfect accompaniment to your favorite...
These quick dinner recipes are tastier, healthier versions of...
A great salad deserves a great dressing. So we've created...
These delicious slim-down dinners all clock in at just 400...
Spaghetti squash is the ultimate pasta impostor: it is a...
These spicy recipes are packed with flavor and metabolism-...
The DASH diet (Dietary Approaches to Stop Hypertension) may...
Weeknight meals are made easy with these 20-minute, low-...
The next time you’re thinking about ordering takeout, put...
When you surround yourself with healthy and delicious food,...
If you’re trying to slim down, our low-calorie dinners to...
- Valentine's Day
- Type of Dish
- Sauce/Condiment, sweet
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 45 minutes or less
- 8 or more
- Winter 2003