Chocolate Mousse a l'Orange
From EatingWell: January/February 1996
Enjoy this low-fat mousse spoonful by lovin' spoonful: it is just as luscious as its full-fat cousin.
- 3/4 cup low-fat milk
- 6 2-inch-long strips of orange zest
- 1 teaspoon unflavored gelatin
- 2 tablespoons Grand Marnier, or other orange-flavored liqueur
- 1 large egg
- 1 cup packed light brown sugar, divided
- 2/3 cup unsweetened cocoa powder, preferably Dutch-process
- 2 ounces bittersweet (not unsweetened) chocolate, chopped
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 4 large egg whites
- 1/2 teaspoon cream of tartar
- 3 tablespoons water
- 1 2-ounce block bittersweet (not unsweetened) chocolate, for chocolate shavings (optional) (see Tip)
- Heat milk and orange zest in a small saucepan until steaming. Remove from the heat and let steep for 10 minutes. Discard the orange zest. Sprinkle gelatin over Grand Marnier in a small bowl; let stand until softened, about 1 minute.
- Whisk together whole egg, 1/4 cup brown sugar, cocoa and the infused milk in another saucepan until smooth. Cook over low heat, whisking constantly, until thickened, about 5 minutes. Remove from the heat and add the softened gelatin mixture, stirring until the gelatin has dissolved. Add chocolate and vanilla; stir until the chocolate has melted. Set aside to cool to room temperature, about 30 minutes.
- Bring about 1 inch of water to a simmer in a wide saucepan. Combine egg whites, cream of tartar, water and the remaining 3/4 cup brown sugar in a heatproof bowl large enough to fit over the saucepan. Set the bowl over the barely simmering water and beat with an electric mixer at low speed, moving the beaters around constantly, until an instant-read thermometer registers 140°F. (This will take 3 to 5 minutes.) Increase the mixer speed to high and continue beating over the heat for a full 3 1/2 minutes. Remove the bowl from the heat and beat the meringue until cool, 4 to 5 minutes longer.
- Whisk one-fourth of the meringue into the chocolate mixture until smooth. With a rubber spatula, fold the chocolate mixture back into the remaining meringue until completely incorporated. Spoon the mousse into 6 dessert glasses and chill until set, about 3 hours.
- If making chocolate shavings, place chocolate on wax paper and microwave, uncovered, at medium-low (30 percent) power for 15 seconds. Turn chocolate block over and microwave for 10 to 15 seconds longer, or just until the chocolate has softened slightly but has not started to melt. Use a vegetable peeler to shave off curls. (If the chocolate is too hard to shave easily, warm it again.) Garnish each mousse with chocolate shavings, if using, and serve.
Tips & Notes
- Make Ahead Tip: Cover and refrigerate for up to 2 days.
- Tip: To make chocolate shavings: Place a block of chocolate (2 ounces or larger) on wax paper and microwave on Defrost until slightly softened but not melted, 15 to 30 seconds. Use a swivel-bladed vegetable peeler to shave off curls. If the chocolate gets to hard to shave easily, warm it again.
Per serving: 289 calories; 9 g fat (4 g sat, 1 g mono); 38 mg cholesterol; 53 g carbohydrates; 8 g protein; 5 g fiber; 68 mg sodium; 237 mg potassium.
Carbohydrate Servings: 3 1/2
Exchanges: 3 1/2 other carbohydrate
More From EatingWell
Our easy holiday appetizer recipes are great for a holiday...
Citrus fruit, such as grapefruit, lemons, limes and oranges,...
Kale and other dark leafy greens are a flavorful, vitamin-...
Making a quick and healthy dinner when you really pressed for...
A piping hot bowl of soup is the ultimate comfort food during...
Decadent cream-based soups are typically loaded with...
Enjoy seasonal fresh fruit even in winter with these healthy...
Winter salads can taste like a refreshing start to those...
Save money on food during the holiday season but still eat...
Pasta is a favorite comfort food—it’s quick, easy to cook and...
Picture this: You arrive home tired and frazzled, and the...
Our gluten-free cookie recipes are a healthy and delicious...
Whether you’re making Christmas cookies for your annual...
End your holiday meal on a sweet note with our healthy...
Spend more time with friends and family and less time in the...
Our festive holiday cocktails, including healthy recipes for...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- More than 1 hour
- Preparation/ Technique
- Type of Dish
- Desserts, chocolate
- January/February 1996