Chocolate Malt Ice Cream
From EatingWell: August/September 2006
Malted-milk powder and powdered nonfat dry milk add most of the body to this unbelievably creamy but low-fat ice cream. Stir in 1/2 cup mini chocolate chips or crushed chocolate wafer cookies for a chocolate-lover's delight.
- 2 1/2 cups skim milk
- 2/3 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup nonfat dry milk
- 1/2 cup malted-milk powder
- 3 1/2 ounces unsweetened chocolate, chopped
- 3/4 cup pasteurized liquid egg whites, (see Note)
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- Blend milk, sugar, dry milk, malted-milk powder and chocolate in a blender until fairly smooth. Pour into a large saucepan and bring to a simmer over medium heat, whisking almost constantly. Remove from the heat.
- Pour egg whites into a large bowl and whisk in the milk mixture in a slow, steady stream until smooth. Whisk in vanilla and salt. Refrigerate until cool, at least 3 hours or overnight.
- Freeze the ice cream mixture in an ice cream maker, according to the manufacturer's directions. If using the ice cream for sandwiches, freeze until it's firm enough to hold a scoop shape.
Tips & Notes
- Make Ahead Tip: Freeze in a sealable plastic container for up to 1 month.
- Note: Pasteurized liquid "egg products" are used in recipes calling for eggs that are uncooked. Pasteurization kills any harmful bacteria that may exist in uncooked eggs. Look for them in the dairy case, near the eggs or in the freezer.
Per serving: 134 calories; 4 g fat (3 g sat, 1 g mono); 4 mg cholesterol; 21 g carbohydrates; 5 g protein; 1 g fiber; 122 mg sodium; 240 mg potassium.
Carbohydrate Servings: 1 1/2
Exchanges: 1/2 fat-free milk, 1 other carbohydrate
More From EatingWell
In celebration of EatingWell's 10th anniversary we picked our...
These easy weeknight suppers are inspired by the bountiful...
Take advantage of summer's bounty of fresh produce with these...
Muffin tins are great for making more than just muffins,...
Use your charcoal grill or gas grill for more than just...
Potato salad is a favorite summer dish, but classic versions...
It’s no wonder that the Mediterranean diet is considered to...
Enjoy the world’s healthiest diet with these delicious...
Make your own pickles! Get the most out of summer’s bounty by...
Berries and fresh summer fruit star in our healthy homemade...
Pork tenderloin is an easy and healthy addition to your...
Our healthy pepper recipes, including recipes for bell...
Fresh, sun-ripened tomatoes not only taste wonderful, they...
For a quick and healthy dinner, make one of our easy stir-fry...
While nothing quite beats eating quickly boiled or grilled...
From healthy blueberry muffins and blueberry pancakes topped...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- More than 1 hour
- 8 or more
- August/September 2006