Chocolate Malt Ice Cream
From EatingWell: August/September 2006
Malted-milk powder and powdered nonfat dry milk add most of the body to this unbelievably creamy but low-fat ice cream. Stir in 1/2 cup mini chocolate chips or crushed chocolate wafer cookies for a chocolate-lover's delight.
- 2 1/2 cups skim milk
- 2/3 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup nonfat dry milk
- 1/2 cup malted-milk powder
- 3 1/2 ounces unsweetened chocolate, chopped
- 3/4 cup pasteurized liquid egg whites, (see Note)
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- Blend milk, sugar, dry milk, malted-milk powder and chocolate in a blender until fairly smooth. Pour into a large saucepan and bring to a simmer over medium heat, whisking almost constantly. Remove from the heat.
- Pour egg whites into a large bowl and whisk in the milk mixture in a slow, steady stream until smooth. Whisk in vanilla and salt. Refrigerate until cool, at least 3 hours or overnight.
- Freeze the ice cream mixture in an ice cream maker, according to the manufacturer's directions. If using the ice cream for sandwiches, freeze until it's firm enough to hold a scoop shape.
Tips & Notes
- Make Ahead Tip: Freeze in a sealable plastic container for up to 1 month.
- Note: Pasteurized liquid "egg products" are used in recipes calling for eggs that are uncooked. Pasteurization kills any harmful bacteria that may exist in uncooked eggs. Look for them in the dairy case, near the eggs or in the freezer.
Per serving: 134 calories; 4 g fat (3 g sat, 1 g mono); 4 mg cholesterol; 21 g carbohydrates; 5 g protein; 1 g fiber; 122 mg sodium; 240 mg potassium.
Carbohydrate Servings: 1 1/2
Exchanges: 1/2 fat-free milk, 1 other carbohydrate
More From EatingWell
On a weekend morning, there’s nothing better than a hot stack...
Skip the store-bought candies and make your own! Try our...
Whether you’re vegan or entertaining a vegan guest for...
Thanksgiving dinner isn’t complete without an apple pie or...
The season of decorative holiday cookies is one of the most...
Whether you're looking for a quick breakfast or a refreshing...
Sweet potato casserole is a traditional Thanksgiving side...
Chicken is always a favorite for anyone looking for a protein...
The tartness of fresh cranberries is a flavorful addition to...
Make your own pickles! Get the most out of summer’s bounty by...
A piping-hot bowl of soup is a satisfying meal for a cozy...
Our healthy carrot recipes will help you get your fill of...
In just 10 minutes, make a delicious Thanksgiving appetizer...
Don't let muffins fool you: they may sound healthy, but many...
When it’s chilly outside, there’s no better way to warm up...
Wake up with these delicious and healthy recipes for homemade...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- More than 1 hour
- 8 or more
- August/September 2006