Chocolate Malt Ice Cream
From EatingWell: August/September 2006
Malted-milk powder and powdered nonfat dry milk add most of the body to this unbelievably creamy but low-fat ice cream. Stir in 1/2 cup mini chocolate chips or crushed chocolate wafer cookies for a chocolate-lover's delight.
- 2 1/2 cups skim milk
- 2/3 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup nonfat dry milk
- 1/2 cup malted-milk powder
- 3 1/2 ounces unsweetened chocolate, chopped
- 3/4 cup pasteurized liquid egg whites, (see Note)
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- Blend milk, sugar, dry milk, malted-milk powder and chocolate in a blender until fairly smooth. Pour into a large saucepan and bring to a simmer over medium heat, whisking almost constantly. Remove from the heat.
- Pour egg whites into a large bowl and whisk in the milk mixture in a slow, steady stream until smooth. Whisk in vanilla and salt. Refrigerate until cool, at least 3 hours or overnight.
- Freeze the ice cream mixture in an ice cream maker, according to the manufacturer's directions. If using the ice cream for sandwiches, freeze until it's firm enough to hold a scoop shape.
Tips & Notes
- Make Ahead Tip: Freeze in a sealable plastic container for up to 1 month.
- Note: Pasteurized liquid "egg products" are used in recipes calling for eggs that are uncooked. Pasteurization kills any harmful bacteria that may exist in uncooked eggs. Look for them in the dairy case, near the eggs or in the freezer.
Per serving: 134 calories; 4 g fat (3 g sat, 1 g mono); 4 mg cholesterol; 21 g carbohydrates; 5 g protein; 1 g fiber; 122 mg sodium; 240 mg potassium.
Carbohydrate Servings: 1 1/2
Exchanges: 1/2 fat-free milk, 1 other carbohydrate
More From EatingWell
In the dog days of summer, you don’t have to turn on your stove...Icebox pies are an easy and popular summer dessert, yet they're...Celebrate the season with EatingWell's best recipes from the...
Turkey sausage is a healthy, leaner alternative to...
You won’t waste half a day’s worth—or more—of calories with...
Celebrate summer’s fresh vegetables with our healthy recipes...
Getting your kids to eat healthy on a gluten-free diet can be...Chicken is a great ingredient for building a healthy and...
Gluten-free salads, soups and sides don’t have to be boring....
Healthy and slimming summer dinners shouldn’t be hard to find...
Beat the heat and embrace the flavors of summer with low-...
Our low-calorie pasta salad recipes will be a favorite dish...
Cool down with these healthy, homemade freezer pops. On hot...
If you find yourself short on time this summer, try these...
For a lighter option for dinner tonight, try making a quick...
Whether you’re a vegetarian or just looking to cut back on...
- 8 or more
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- More than 1 hour
- August/September 2006