Chocolate Malt Ice Cream
From EatingWell: August/September 2006
Malted-milk powder and powdered nonfat dry milk add most of the body to this unbelievably creamy but low-fat ice cream. Stir in 1/2 cup mini chocolate chips or crushed chocolate wafer cookies for a chocolate-lover's delight.
- 2 1/2 cups skim milk
- 2/3 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup nonfat dry milk
- 1/2 cup malted-milk powder
- 3 1/2 ounces unsweetened chocolate, chopped
- 3/4 cup pasteurized liquid egg whites, (see Note)
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- Blend milk, sugar, dry milk, malted-milk powder and chocolate in a blender until fairly smooth. Pour into a large saucepan and bring to a simmer over medium heat, whisking almost constantly. Remove from the heat.
- Pour egg whites into a large bowl and whisk in the milk mixture in a slow, steady stream until smooth. Whisk in vanilla and salt. Refrigerate until cool, at least 3 hours or overnight.
- Freeze the ice cream mixture in an ice cream maker, according to the manufacturer's directions. If using the ice cream for sandwiches, freeze until it's firm enough to hold a scoop shape.
Tips & Notes
- Make Ahead Tip: Freeze in a sealable plastic container for up to 1 month.
- Note: Pasteurized liquid "egg products" are used in recipes calling for eggs that are uncooked. Pasteurization kills any harmful bacteria that may exist in uncooked eggs. Look for them in the dairy case, near the eggs or in the freezer.
Per serving: 134 calories; 4 g fat (3 g sat, 1 g mono); 4 mg cholesterol; 21 g carbohydrates; 5 g protein; 1 g fiber; 122 mg sodium; 240 mg potassium.
Carbohydrate Servings: 1 1/2
Exchanges: 1/2 fat-free milk, 1 other carbohydrate
More From EatingWell
Boneless chicken thighs can take plenty of cooking without...
An outstanding salad dressing can take your salad from ho-hum...Oatmeal is an ideal breakfast for cooler months and is arguably...
Who says entertaining has to be reserved for the weekend only...
Peanut butter is a healthy ingredient and more versatile than...
If you’re watching your sodium intake, these low-sodium snack...
When it comes to making healthy slow cooker chicken recipes,...
Whether you’re packing a healthy snack for yourself or your...
When you’re watching your diet, snacking healthfully can keep...
Snacking (done right) can be a healthy way to curb your...
Muffin tins are great for making more than just muffins,...
Pasta is a favorite comfort food—it’s quick, easy to cook and...
When the temperature drops and the days get shorter, there's...
Having a snack attack? Stock your fridge and pantry with...
Low-fat cottage cheese is a healthy addition that adds...
Pass on store-bought snacks that are loaded with fat and...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- More than 1 hour
- 8 or more
- August/September 2006