Chocolate Malt Ice Cream
From EatingWell: August/September 2006
Malted-milk powder and powdered nonfat dry milk add most of the body to this unbelievably creamy but low-fat ice cream. Stir in 1/2 cup mini chocolate chips or crushed chocolate wafer cookies for a chocolate-lover's delight.
- 2 1/2 cups skim milk
- 2/3 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup nonfat dry milk
- 1/2 cup malted-milk powder
- 3 1/2 ounces unsweetened chocolate, chopped
- 3/4 cup pasteurized liquid egg whites, (see Note)
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- Blend milk, sugar, dry milk, malted-milk powder and chocolate in a blender until fairly smooth. Pour into a large saucepan and bring to a simmer over medium heat, whisking almost constantly. Remove from the heat.
- Pour egg whites into a large bowl and whisk in the milk mixture in a slow, steady stream until smooth. Whisk in vanilla and salt. Refrigerate until cool, at least 3 hours or overnight.
- Freeze the ice cream mixture in an ice cream maker, according to the manufacturer's directions. If using the ice cream for sandwiches, freeze until it's firm enough to hold a scoop shape.
Tips & Notes
- Make Ahead Tip: Freeze in a sealable plastic container for up to 1 month.
- Note: Pasteurized liquid "egg products" are used in recipes calling for eggs that are uncooked. Pasteurization kills any harmful bacteria that may exist in uncooked eggs. Look for them in the dairy case, near the eggs or in the freezer.
Per serving: 134 calories; 4 g fat (3 g sat, 1 g mono); 4 mg cholesterol; 21 g carbohydrates; 5 g protein; 1 g fiber; 122 mg sodium; 240 mg potassium.
Carbohydrate Servings: 1 1/2
Exchanges: 1/2 fat-free milk, 1 other carbohydrate
More From EatingWell
Make cooking Thanksgiving dinner easier with these simple...
If hungry guests are on their way for Thanksgiving dinner,...
These healthy, flavorful Thanksgiving side dishes are...
Use wild rice in a variety of healthy side dishes, including...
One of the most iconic fall vegetables, squash is a versatile...
Sauces and relishes provide the sweet or savory flavor...
Tender, sweet and just a little nutty, Brussels sprouts add a...
Apple pie is a favorite fall dessert and pumpkin pie is an...
There's nothing more enticing than walking into the kitchen...
If you have celiac disease or are sensitive to gluten, there...
Serve one of these healthy vegetarian main dishes, and you're...
The holiday season is the perfect time to use fresh...
Winter salads can taste like a refreshing start to those...
If you’re looking for a quick and easy appetizer to make for...
Entertaining is made easy with these delicious brunch recipes...
Take the stress out of Thanksgiving with these easy, healthy...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- More than 1 hour
- 8 or more
- August/September 2006