Chocolate Ice Cream
From EatingWell: July/August 1994
This fudgy ice cream will satisfy any chocolate craving, but contains only 5 grams of fat per serving.
- 3 cups low-fat milk, divided
- 1/4 cup dark corn syrup
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 2 large egg yolks
- 2/3 cup unsweetened cocoa powder, preferably Dutch process
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1 ounce bittersweet chocolate, (not unsweetened), chopped
- 1 tablespoon coffee liqueur, or strong brewed coffee
- 2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
- 1 1/2 cups Marshmallow Fluff
- Combine 2 1/2 cups milk, corn syrup and brown sugar in a large heavy saucepan. Heat over medium heat, stirring to dissolve the sugar, until steaming.
- Meanwhile, whisk together egg yolks, cocoa, cornstarch and the remaining 1/2 cup cold milk in a medium bowl until smooth.
- Gradually whisk the hot milk into the egg-yolk mixture; then return to the pan. Cook over medium heat, whisking constantly, until the mixture boils and thickens, about 3 minutes. (Because the custard is thickened with cornstarch, it will not curdle when it boils.)
- Remove from the heat, add chocolate, and stir until melted. Stir in coffee liqueur or brewed coffee and vanilla.
- Transfer the custard to a large clean bowl and place a piece of wax paper directly over the surface to prevent a skin from forming. Cool completely. Add Marshmallow Fluff and mix with a whisk until as smooth as possible. (The mixture will be a little lumpy; lumps will break down during stir-freezing.) Chill until cold.
- Pour into the canister of an ice cream maker and freeze according to the manufacturer’s instructions.
Per serving: 365 calories; 6 g fat (3 g sat, 1 g mono); 74 mg cholesterol; 77 g carbohydrates; 8 g protein; 4 g fiber; 127 mg sodium; 365 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Calcium & Magnesium (17% daily value).
Carbohydrate Servings: 5
Exchanges: 1/2 fat-free milk, 4 1/2 other carbohydrate
More From EatingWell
Omega-3 fats are good for your heart and are found in fish...
These healthy sugar-free dessert recipes are a delicious and...
Stir-fries are an easy way to get dinner on the table fast...
Whether you're looking for a quick breakfast or a refreshing...
If you’re trying to slim down, our low-calorie dinners to...
Carbs have gotten a bad rap as a diet no-no, but whole grains...
When you’re trying to lose weight, you don’t need to skimp on...
The next time you’re thinking about ordering takeout, put...
Fresh seasonal produce offers plenty of reasons to try one of...
Baking a cake from scratch doesn’t have to be time-intensive...
There’s something oh-so-soothing about a bowl of creamy...
Our nutritionists have verified that these recipes do not...
Homemade desserts, including piping-hot apple pie, rich...
If you’re searching for an affordable and healthy meal for...
Our healthy lasagna recipes, including classic meat lasagna...
Make sure you have a quick and easy dinner ready to go next...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- More than 1 hour
- Preparation/ Technique
- Ice Cream Maker
- July/August 1994