Chocolate Ice Cream
From EatingWell: July/August 1994
This fudgy ice cream will satisfy any chocolate craving, but contains only 5 grams of fat per serving.
- 3 cups low-fat milk, divided
- 1/4 cup dark corn syrup
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 2 large egg yolks
- 2/3 cup unsweetened cocoa powder, preferably Dutch process
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1 ounce bittersweet chocolate, (not unsweetened), chopped
- 1 tablespoon coffee liqueur, or strong brewed coffee
- 2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
- 1 1/2 cups Marshmallow Fluff
- Combine 2 1/2 cups milk, corn syrup and brown sugar in a large heavy saucepan. Heat over medium heat, stirring to dissolve the sugar, until steaming.
- Meanwhile, whisk together egg yolks, cocoa, cornstarch and the remaining 1/2 cup cold milk in a medium bowl until smooth.
- Gradually whisk the hot milk into the egg-yolk mixture; then return to the pan. Cook over medium heat, whisking constantly, until the mixture boils and thickens, about 3 minutes. (Because the custard is thickened with cornstarch, it will not curdle when it boils.)
- Remove from the heat, add chocolate, and stir until melted. Stir in coffee liqueur or brewed coffee and vanilla.
- Transfer the custard to a large clean bowl and place a piece of wax paper directly over the surface to prevent a skin from forming. Cool completely. Add Marshmallow Fluff and mix with a whisk until as smooth as possible. (The mixture will be a little lumpy; lumps will break down during stir-freezing.) Chill until cold.
- Pour into the canister of an ice cream maker and freeze according to the manufacturer’s instructions.
Per serving: 365 calories; 6 g fat (3 g sat, 1 g mono); 74 mg cholesterol; 77 g carbohydrates; 8 g protein; 4 g fiber; 127 mg sodium; 365 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Calcium & Magnesium (17% daily value).
Carbohydrate Servings: 5
Exchanges: 1/2 fat-free milk, 4 1/2 other carbohydrate
More From EatingWell
Our easy holiday appetizer recipes are great for a holiday...
Citrus fruit, such as grapefruit, lemons, limes and oranges,...
Kale and other dark leafy greens are a flavorful, vitamin-...
Making a quick and healthy dinner when you really pressed for...
A piping hot bowl of soup is the ultimate comfort food during...
Decadent cream-based soups are typically loaded with...
Enjoy seasonal fresh fruit even in winter with these healthy...
Winter salads can taste like a refreshing start to those...
Save money on food during the holiday season but still eat...
Pasta is a favorite comfort food—it’s quick, easy to cook and...
Picture this: You arrive home tired and frazzled, and the...
Our gluten-free cookie recipes are a healthy and delicious...
Whether you’re making Christmas cookies for your annual...
End your holiday meal on a sweet note with our healthy...
Spend more time with friends and family and less time in the...
Our festive holiday cocktails, including healthy recipes for...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- More than 1 hour
- Preparation/ Technique
- Ice Cream Maker
- July/August 1994