Chocolate Ice Cream
From EatingWell: July/August 1994
This fudgy ice cream will satisfy any chocolate craving, but contains only 5 grams of fat per serving.
- 3 cups low-fat milk, divided
- 1/4 cup dark corn syrup
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 2 large egg yolks
- 2/3 cup unsweetened cocoa powder, preferably Dutch process
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1 ounce bittersweet chocolate, (not unsweetened), chopped
- 1 tablespoon coffee liqueur, or strong brewed coffee
- 2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
- 1 1/2 cups Marshmallow Fluff
- Combine 2 1/2 cups milk, corn syrup and brown sugar in a large heavy saucepan. Heat over medium heat, stirring to dissolve the sugar, until steaming.
- Meanwhile, whisk together egg yolks, cocoa, cornstarch and the remaining 1/2 cup cold milk in a medium bowl until smooth.
- Gradually whisk the hot milk into the egg-yolk mixture; then return to the pan. Cook over medium heat, whisking constantly, until the mixture boils and thickens, about 3 minutes. (Because the custard is thickened with cornstarch, it will not curdle when it boils.)
- Remove from the heat, add chocolate, and stir until melted. Stir in coffee liqueur or brewed coffee and vanilla.
- Transfer the custard to a large clean bowl and place a piece of wax paper directly over the surface to prevent a skin from forming. Cool completely. Add Marshmallow Fluff and mix with a whisk until as smooth as possible. (The mixture will be a little lumpy; lumps will break down during stir-freezing.) Chill until cold.
- Pour into the canister of an ice cream maker and freeze according to the manufacturer’s instructions.
Per serving: 365 calories; 6 g fat (3 g sat, 1 g mono); 74 mg cholesterol; 77 g carbohydrates; 8 g protein; 4 g fiber; 127 mg sodium; 365 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Calcium & Magnesium (17% daily value).
Carbohydrate Servings: 5
Exchanges: 1/2 fat-free milk, 4 1/2 other carbohydrate
More From EatingWell
In celebration of EatingWell's 10th anniversary we picked our...
These easy weeknight suppers are inspired by the bountiful...
Take advantage of summer's bounty of fresh produce with these...
Muffin tins are great for making more than just muffins,...
Use your charcoal grill or gas grill for more than just...
Potato salad is a favorite summer dish, but classic versions...
It’s no wonder that the Mediterranean diet is considered to...
Enjoy the world’s healthiest diet with these delicious...
Make your own pickles! Get the most out of summer’s bounty by...
Berries and fresh summer fruit star in our healthy homemade...
Pork tenderloin is an easy and healthy addition to your...
Our healthy pepper recipes, including recipes for bell...
Fresh, sun-ripened tomatoes not only taste wonderful, they...
For a quick and healthy dinner, make one of our easy stir-fry...
While nothing quite beats eating quickly boiled or grilled...
From healthy blueberry muffins and blueberry pancakes topped...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- More than 1 hour
- Preparation/ Technique
- Ice Cream Maker
- July/August 1994