Chocolate Ice Cream
From EatingWell: July/August 1994
This fudgy ice cream will satisfy any chocolate craving, but contains only 5 grams of fat per serving.
- 3 cups low-fat milk, divided
- 1/4 cup dark corn syrup
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 2 large egg yolks
- 2/3 cup unsweetened cocoa powder, preferably Dutch process
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1 ounce bittersweet chocolate, (not unsweetened), chopped
- 1 tablespoon coffee liqueur, or strong brewed coffee
- 2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
- 1 1/2 cups Marshmallow Fluff
- Combine 2 1/2 cups milk, corn syrup and brown sugar in a large heavy saucepan. Heat over medium heat, stirring to dissolve the sugar, until steaming.
- Meanwhile, whisk together egg yolks, cocoa, cornstarch and the remaining 1/2 cup cold milk in a medium bowl until smooth.
- Gradually whisk the hot milk into the egg-yolk mixture; then return to the pan. Cook over medium heat, whisking constantly, until the mixture boils and thickens, about 3 minutes. (Because the custard is thickened with cornstarch, it will not curdle when it boils.)
- Remove from the heat, add chocolate, and stir until melted. Stir in coffee liqueur or brewed coffee and vanilla.
- Transfer the custard to a large clean bowl and place a piece of wax paper directly over the surface to prevent a skin from forming. Cool completely. Add Marshmallow Fluff and mix with a whisk until as smooth as possible. (The mixture will be a little lumpy; lumps will break down during stir-freezing.) Chill until cold.
- Pour into the canister of an ice cream maker and freeze according to the manufacturer’s instructions.
Per serving: 365 calories; 6 g fat (3 g sat, 1 g mono); 74 mg cholesterol; 77 g carbohydrates; 8 g protein; 4 g fiber; 127 mg sodium; 365 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Calcium & Magnesium (17% daily value).
Carbohydrate Servings: 5
Exchanges: 1/2 fat-free milk, 4 1/2 other carbohydrate
More From EatingWell
Our healthy Labor Day recipes are a delicious way to...
Don’t be fooled: granola sounds healthy, but it's often high...
Using healthy ingredients such as nuts, dried fruit and whole...
Summer's bounty of fresh berries invites creativity. From...
Fiber-rich okra is delicious, whether pickled, roasted or...
From healthy blueberry muffins and blueberry pancakes topped...
If you’re following the Paleo Diet then you know that you...
While nothing quite beats eating quickly boiled or grilled...
Fresh, sun-ripened tomatoes not only taste wonderful, they...
Add these healthy and delicious recipes to your gluten-free...
When summer tomatoes from backyard gardens and farmstands hit...
When the produce section looks bleak, turn to the freezer....
If you’re craving an easy dessert tonight, we have just what...
The Meatless Monday movement is growing in popularity across...
Potassium plays a vital role in keeping your heart healthy...
Go beyond the gin and tonic this summer and mix up cocktails...
- Preparation/ Technique
- Ice Cream Maker
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- More than 1 hour
- July/August 1994