Chocolate Ice Cream
From EatingWell: July/August 1994
This fudgy ice cream will satisfy any chocolate craving, but contains only 5 grams of fat per serving.
- 3 cups low-fat milk, divided
- 1/4 cup dark corn syrup
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 2 large egg yolks
- 2/3 cup unsweetened cocoa powder, preferably Dutch process
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1 ounce bittersweet chocolate, (not unsweetened), chopped
- 1 tablespoon coffee liqueur, or strong brewed coffee
- 2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
- 1 1/2 cups Marshmallow Fluff
- Combine 2 1/2 cups milk, corn syrup and brown sugar in a large heavy saucepan. Heat over medium heat, stirring to dissolve the sugar, until steaming.
- Meanwhile, whisk together egg yolks, cocoa, cornstarch and the remaining 1/2 cup cold milk in a medium bowl until smooth.
- Gradually whisk the hot milk into the egg-yolk mixture; then return to the pan. Cook over medium heat, whisking constantly, until the mixture boils and thickens, about 3 minutes. (Because the custard is thickened with cornstarch, it will not curdle when it boils.)
- Remove from the heat, add chocolate, and stir until melted. Stir in coffee liqueur or brewed coffee and vanilla.
- Transfer the custard to a large clean bowl and place a piece of wax paper directly over the surface to prevent a skin from forming. Cool completely. Add Marshmallow Fluff and mix with a whisk until as smooth as possible. (The mixture will be a little lumpy; lumps will break down during stir-freezing.) Chill until cold.
- Pour into the canister of an ice cream maker and freeze according to the manufacturer’s instructions.
Per serving: 365 calories; 6 g fat (3 g sat, 1 g mono); 74 mg cholesterol; 77 g carbohydrates; 8 g protein; 4 g fiber; 127 mg sodium; 365 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Calcium & Magnesium (17% daily value).
Carbohydrate Servings: 5
Exchanges: 1/2 fat-free milk, 4 1/2 other carbohydrate
More From EatingWell
Ready in 30 minutes or less, these healthy spring recipes are...
Whether you’re making soup for an appetizer or a main-course...
Few things are more satisfying on a chilly night than a...
Asparagus is high in folic acid and is a good source of...
Comfort foods are notoriously high in calories and saturated...
Entertaining is made easy with these delicious brunch recipes...
Spend less time in the kitchen; plug in your crock pot! Slow...
Healthy dinners that fit in one bowl are quick and convenient...
There's nothing better than a quick, easy and affordable...
Our low-calorie comfort food recipes are soothing, comforting...
Your slow cooker is the perfect tool to prepare an easy meal...
If you’re hoping to get a better night’s sleep, try adding...
Everyone is Irish on St. Patrick’s Day! Celebrate this year...
If planning out quick and healthy meals for your family is a...
Adding lean protein, such as chicken, turkey, lean beef, low-...
Canned tuna is a quick, healthy and delicious option for...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- More than 1 hour
- Preparation/ Technique
- Ice Cream Maker
- July/August 1994