From EatingWell: November/December 1998
Chopped pitted dates are the secret ingredient in these healthy chocolate-hazelnut truffles.
- 3 ounces bittersweet or semisweet chocolate, divided
- 1/2 cup chopped hazelnuts, toasted (see Tip)
- 2 cups chopped pitted dates, (10 ounces, see Note)
- 1 teaspoon freshly grated orange zest
- 2 tablespoons dark corn syrup
- 1 tablespoon orange juice
- 1 tablespoon Grand Marnier, or other orange liqueur
- 1/4 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- Place 2 ounces chocolate in a small bowl. Set bowl in a small skillet of barely simmering water until chocolate melts. (Alternatively, melt chocolate in the microwave.)
- Combine hazelnuts, dates and orange zest in a food processor; pulse until very finely chopped. Add the melted chocolate, corn syrup, orange juice and orange liqueur; pulse until mixture clumps together.
- Line a baking sheet with wax paper. Sift cocoa into a pie pan or shallow dish. Coat hands with cooking spray. Pinch off pieces of date mixture and form into 1-inch balls. Roll truffles in cocoa to coat lightly and place on prepared baking sheet.
- Melt remaining 1 ounce chocolate. Spoon into a paper cone or small plastic bag. Cut a tiny hole in the tip of the cone or corner of the bag. Pipe chocolate decoratively over truffles. Refrigerate, uncovered, until the chocolate has hardened, about 10 minutes. Serve in paper candy cups.
Tips & Notes
- Tip: To toast chopped hazelnuts: Place in a small dry skillet and cook over medium-low heat, stirring constantly, until fragrant and lightly browned, 2 to 4 minutes.
- Note: Be sure to use chopped pitted dates rather than whole dates, which are too sticky for the food processor.
Per truffle: 61 calories; 2 g fat (1 g sat, 1 g mono); 0 mg cholesterol; 12 g carbohydrates; 1 g protein; 2 g fiber; 2 mg sodium; 97 mg potassium.
Carbohydrate Servings: 1
Exchanges: 1 other carbohydrate
More From EatingWell
An outstanding salad dressing can take your salad from ho-hum...
Fresh seasonal produce offers plenty of reasons to try one of...
Turnips are a root vegetable with purple-white skin and a...
A piping-hot bowl of soup makes a delicious dinner and an...
Instead of ordering takeout tonight, try an easy chicken stir...
Whether you’re eating chickpeas in a salad, pasta dish or...
Pass on store-bought snacks that are loaded with fat and...
Vegetables are one of the healthiest foods you can eat,...
Our healthy low-carb desserts are delicious ways to end your...
Boneless chicken thighs can take plenty of cooking without...Oatmeal is an ideal breakfast for cooler months and is arguably...
Who says entertaining has to be reserved for the weekend only...
Peanut butter is a healthy ingredient and more versatile than...
If you’re watching your sodium intake, these low-sodium snack...
When it comes to making healthy slow cooker chicken recipes,...
Whether you’re packing a healthy snack for yourself or your...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 1 hour or less
- 8 or more
- Preparation/ Technique
- November/December 1998