From EatingWell: November/December 1998
Chopped pitted dates are the secret ingredient in these healthy chocolate-hazelnut truffles.
- 3 ounces bittersweet or semisweet chocolate, divided
- 1/2 cup chopped hazelnuts, toasted (see Tip)
- 2 cups chopped pitted dates, (10 ounces, see Note)
- 1 teaspoon freshly grated orange zest
- 2 tablespoons dark corn syrup
- 1 tablespoon orange juice
- 1 tablespoon Grand Marnier, or other orange liqueur
- 1/4 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- Place 2 ounces chocolate in a small bowl. Set bowl in a small skillet of barely simmering water until chocolate melts. (Alternatively, melt chocolate in the microwave.)
- Combine hazelnuts, dates and orange zest in a food processor; pulse until very finely chopped. Add the melted chocolate, corn syrup, orange juice and orange liqueur; pulse until mixture clumps together.
- Line a baking sheet with wax paper. Sift cocoa into a pie pan or shallow dish. Coat hands with cooking spray. Pinch off pieces of date mixture and form into 1-inch balls. Roll truffles in cocoa to coat lightly and place on prepared baking sheet.
- Melt remaining 1 ounce chocolate. Spoon into a paper cone or small plastic bag. Cut a tiny hole in the tip of the cone or corner of the bag. Pipe chocolate decoratively over truffles. Refrigerate, uncovered, until the chocolate has hardened, about 10 minutes. Serve in paper candy cups.
Tips & Notes
- Tip: To toast chopped hazelnuts: Place in a small dry skillet and cook over medium-low heat, stirring constantly, until fragrant and lightly browned, 2 to 4 minutes.
- Note: Be sure to use chopped pitted dates rather than whole dates, which are too sticky for the food processor.
Per truffle: 61 calories; 2 g fat (1 g sat, 1 g mono); 0 mg cholesterol; 12 g carbohydrates; 1 g protein; 2 g fiber; 2 mg sodium; 97 mg potassium.
Carbohydrate Servings: 1
Exchanges: 1 other carbohydrate
More From EatingWell
Onions are the perfect accompaniment to almost any savory...
Pesto is an easy way to add flavor without tons of extra...
Having a snack attack? Stock your fridge and pantry with...
Coffee is a healthy and flavorful addition to many desserts...
Coconut is a sweet addition to many healthy breakfast recipes...
The health perks of coffee only add to it's appeal for coffee...
If you’re looking for healthier food to enjoy during the...
Lentils are a versatile, budget-friendly and healthy addition...
Pork chops are a versatile and budget-friendly option for...
Apple recipes are a favorite fall fruit, whether you enjoy...
Make sure you have a quick and easy dinner ready to go next...
If you like your food hot—spicy, that is—we've got some...
Mediterranean cuisine is delicious: it’s rich in fruits,...
This Valentine’s Day, stay in with the ones you love and make...
Ring in the Chinese New Year with these healthy Chinese...
From grilled steak to creamy chicken, our quick and healthy...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 1 hour or less
- 8 or more
- Preparation/ Technique
- November/December 1998