Graham cracker crumbs lend a hearty texture to a chocolate treat so it maintains the characteristics of a muffin, rather than an oversized cupcake, perfect to pack in a lunchbox.
- 1 cup chocolate graham cracker crumbs, (see Note)
- 3/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 3/4 cup whole-wheat flour
- 1/3 cup unsweetened cocoa powder, preferably Dutch-process, sifted
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 large eggs
- 1/2 cup packed light brown sugar
- 1/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 3 tablespoons canola oil
- 1 teaspoon instant coffee powder
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/4 cup semisweet chocolate chips, preferably mini chips
- Preheat oven to 400°F. Coat 12 muffin cups with cooking spray.
- Pulse graham crackers into crumbs in a food processor or place in a large plastic bag and crush with a rolling pin. Whisk all-purpose flour, whole-wheat flour, cocoa, baking powder, baking soda and salt in a large bowl. Stir in graham cracker crumbs.
- Whisk eggs, brown sugar and granulated sugar in a medium bowl until smooth. Add buttermilk, oil, coffee and vanilla and whisk until blended. Make a well in the dry ingredients; add the wet ingredients and stir with a rubber spatula until just combined. Gently fold in chocolate chips. Spoon the batter into the prepared muffin cups.
- Bake the muffins until the tops spring back when touched lightly, 15 to 25 minutes. Let cool in the pan for 5 minutes. Loosen edges and turn muffins out onto a wire rack to cool.
Tips & Notes
- Note: To avoid trans-fatty acids, look for brands of graham crackers that do not contain partially hydrogenated vegetable oil, such as Mi-Del chocolate snaps or Barbara's Chocolate Go-Go Grahams.
Per muffin: 215 calories; 7 g fat (1 g sat, 3 g mono); 36 mg cholesterol; 36 g carbohydrates; 5 g protein; 2 g fiber; 224 mg sodium; 103 mg potassium.
Carbohydrate Servings: 2
Exchanges: 2 1/2 other carbohydrate, 1 1/2 fat
More From EatingWell
On a weekend morning, there’s nothing better than a hot stack...
Skip the store-bought candies and make your own! Try our...
Whether you’re vegan or entertaining a vegan guest for...
Thanksgiving dinner isn’t complete without an apple pie or...
The season of decorative holiday cookies is one of the most...
Whether you're looking for a quick breakfast or a refreshing...
Sweet potato casserole is a traditional Thanksgiving side...
Chicken is always a favorite for anyone looking for a protein...
The tartness of fresh cranberries is a flavorful addition to...
Make your own pickles! Get the most out of summer’s bounty by...
A piping-hot bowl of soup is a satisfying meal for a cozy...
Our healthy carrot recipes will help you get your fill of...
In just 10 minutes, make a delicious Thanksgiving appetizer...
Don't let muffins fool you: they may sound healthy, but many...
When it’s chilly outside, there’s no better way to warm up...
Wake up with these delicious and healthy recipes for homemade...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 1 hour or less
- 8 or more
- Preparation/ Technique