Graham cracker crumbs lend a hearty texture to a chocolate treat so it maintains the characteristics of a muffin, rather than an oversized cupcake, perfect to pack in a lunchbox.
- 1 cup chocolate graham cracker crumbs, (see Note)
- 3/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 3/4 cup whole-wheat flour
- 1/3 cup unsweetened cocoa powder, preferably Dutch-process, sifted
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 large eggs
- 1/2 cup packed light brown sugar
- 1/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 3 tablespoons canola oil
- 1 teaspoon instant coffee powder
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/4 cup semisweet chocolate chips, preferably mini chips
- Preheat oven to 400°F. Coat 12 muffin cups with cooking spray.
- Pulse graham crackers into crumbs in a food processor or place in a large plastic bag and crush with a rolling pin. Whisk all-purpose flour, whole-wheat flour, cocoa, baking powder, baking soda and salt in a large bowl. Stir in graham cracker crumbs.
- Whisk eggs, brown sugar and granulated sugar in a medium bowl until smooth. Add buttermilk, oil, coffee and vanilla and whisk until blended. Make a well in the dry ingredients; add the wet ingredients and stir with a rubber spatula until just combined. Gently fold in chocolate chips. Spoon the batter into the prepared muffin cups.
- Bake the muffins until the tops spring back when touched lightly, 15 to 25 minutes. Let cool in the pan for 5 minutes. Loosen edges and turn muffins out onto a wire rack to cool.
Tips & Notes
- Note: To avoid trans-fatty acids, look for brands of graham crackers that do not contain partially hydrogenated vegetable oil, such as Mi-Del chocolate snaps or Barbara's Chocolate Go-Go Grahams.
Per muffin: 215 calories; 7 g fat (1 g sat, 3 g mono); 36 mg cholesterol; 36 g carbohydrates; 5 g protein; 2 g fiber; 224 mg sodium; 103 mg potassium.
Carbohydrate Servings: 2
Exchanges: 2 1/2 other carbohydrate, 1 1/2 fat
More From EatingWell
In celebration of EatingWell's 10th anniversary we picked our...
These easy weeknight suppers are inspired by the bountiful...
Take advantage of summer's bounty of fresh produce with these...
Muffin tins are great for making more than just muffins,...
Use your charcoal grill or gas grill for more than just...
Potato salad is a favorite summer dish, but classic versions...
It’s no wonder that the Mediterranean diet is considered to...
Enjoy the world’s healthiest diet with these delicious...
Make your own pickles! Get the most out of summer’s bounty by...
Berries and fresh summer fruit star in our healthy homemade...
Pork tenderloin is an easy and healthy addition to your...
Our healthy pepper recipes, including recipes for bell...
Fresh, sun-ripened tomatoes not only taste wonderful, they...
For a quick and healthy dinner, make one of our easy stir-fry...
While nothing quite beats eating quickly boiled or grilled...
From healthy blueberry muffins and blueberry pancakes topped...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 1 hour or less
- 8 or more
- Preparation/ Technique