Graham cracker crumbs lend a hearty texture to a chocolate treat so it maintains the characteristics of a muffin, rather than an oversized cupcake, perfect to pack in a lunchbox.
- 1 cup chocolate graham cracker crumbs, (see Note)
- 3/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 3/4 cup whole-wheat flour
- 1/3 cup unsweetened cocoa powder, preferably Dutch-process, sifted
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 large eggs
- 1/2 cup packed light brown sugar
- 1/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 3 tablespoons canola oil
- 1 teaspoon instant coffee powder
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/4 cup semisweet chocolate chips, preferably mini chips
- Preheat oven to 400°F. Coat 12 muffin cups with cooking spray.
- Pulse graham crackers into crumbs in a food processor or place in a large plastic bag and crush with a rolling pin. Whisk all-purpose flour, whole-wheat flour, cocoa, baking powder, baking soda and salt in a large bowl. Stir in graham cracker crumbs.
- Whisk eggs, brown sugar and granulated sugar in a medium bowl until smooth. Add buttermilk, oil, coffee and vanilla and whisk until blended. Make a well in the dry ingredients; add the wet ingredients and stir with a rubber spatula until just combined. Gently fold in chocolate chips. Spoon the batter into the prepared muffin cups.
- Bake the muffins until the tops spring back when touched lightly, 15 to 25 minutes. Let cool in the pan for 5 minutes. Loosen edges and turn muffins out onto a wire rack to cool.
Tips & Notes
- Note: To avoid trans-fatty acids, look for brands of graham crackers that do not contain partially hydrogenated vegetable oil, such as Mi-Del chocolate snaps or Barbara's Chocolate Go-Go Grahams.
Per muffin: 215 calories; 7 g fat (1 g sat, 3 g mono); 36 mg cholesterol; 36 g carbohydrates; 5 g protein; 2 g fiber; 224 mg sodium; 103 mg potassium.
Carbohydrate Servings: 2
Exchanges: 2 1/2 other carbohydrate, 1 1/2 fat
More From EatingWell
If you're looking for an easy, healthy meal idea for dinner...
Whether you’re celebrating Cinco de Mayo or throwing a...
Few things are closer to perfection than the first sweet...
Trying to clean up your diet? These low-calorie recipes are...
Make your own pickles! Get the most out of summer’s bounty by...
Whether you’re packing a healthy snack for yourself or your...
This Memorial Day, throw a barbecue or picnic with these...
Try making a healthy summer dip recipe or summer salsa recipe...
You won’t waste half a day’s worth—or more—of calories with...
Whether you're looking for a quick breakfast or a refreshing...
Fresh seasonal produce offers plenty of reasons to try one of...
Barbecue sauce, rubs and marinades are easy, healthy ways to...
Everyone loves a good, juicy burger recipe! But hamburgers...
As delicious as eating healthy can be, we all still crave our...
Whether grilled, seared, broiled, baked or made into burgers...
These easy weeknight suppers are inspired by the bountiful...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 1 hour or less
- 8 or more
- Preparation/ Technique