Graham cracker crumbs lend a hearty texture to a chocolate treat so it maintains the characteristics of a muffin, rather than an oversized cupcake, perfect to pack in a lunchbox.
- 1 cup chocolate graham cracker crumbs, (see Note)
- 3/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 3/4 cup whole-wheat flour
- 1/3 cup unsweetened cocoa powder, preferably Dutch-process, sifted
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 large eggs
- 1/2 cup packed light brown sugar
- 1/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 3 tablespoons canola oil
- 1 teaspoon instant coffee powder
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/4 cup semisweet chocolate chips, preferably mini chips
- Preheat oven to 400°F. Coat 12 muffin cups with cooking spray.
- Pulse graham crackers into crumbs in a food processor or place in a large plastic bag and crush with a rolling pin. Whisk all-purpose flour, whole-wheat flour, cocoa, baking powder, baking soda and salt in a large bowl. Stir in graham cracker crumbs.
- Whisk eggs, brown sugar and granulated sugar in a medium bowl until smooth. Add buttermilk, oil, coffee and vanilla and whisk until blended. Make a well in the dry ingredients; add the wet ingredients and stir with a rubber spatula until just combined. Gently fold in chocolate chips. Spoon the batter into the prepared muffin cups.
- Bake the muffins until the tops spring back when touched lightly, 15 to 25 minutes. Let cool in the pan for 5 minutes. Loosen edges and turn muffins out onto a wire rack to cool.
Tips & Notes
- Note: To avoid trans-fatty acids, look for brands of graham crackers that do not contain partially hydrogenated vegetable oil, such as Mi-Del chocolate snaps or Barbara's Chocolate Go-Go Grahams.
Per muffin: 215 calories; 7 g fat (1 g sat, 3 g mono); 36 mg cholesterol; 36 g carbohydrates; 5 g protein; 2 g fiber; 224 mg sodium; 103 mg potassium.
Carbohydrate Servings: 2
Exchanges: 2 1/2 other carbohydrate, 1 1/2 fat
More From EatingWell
These healthy fruit bars are the perfect snack to put in your...
Celebrate summer with our summer dessert recipes made with...This collection of healthy potluck recipes is full of crowd-...These healthy bean salad recipes bring fresh summery life to the...
Brownies and blondies are crowd-pleasing desserts for any...
Our low-calorie pasta salad recipes will be a favorite dish...
Whether you're looking for a quick breakfast or a refreshing...
A tall glass of iced tea on a hot day is refreshing, and it...
If you’re in a rush and thinking about skipping breakfast,...
Using healthy ingredients such as nuts, dried fruit and whole...
Spinach might have made Popeye strong, but what he probably...
There’s no better way to celebrate Mother’s Day than by...
Sunscreen helps keep your skin healthy and beautiful,...
Save your waistline and your wallet with these quick and...
Our breakfast casserole recipes are a satisfying way to start...
We love Mexican meals, but often the differences between...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 1 hour or less
- 8 or more
- Preparation/ Technique