From EatingWell: January/February 2008
The chocolate will stiffen if it gets cold, so enjoy it while it's still warm. Skewer and dip anything you like—pear slices, dried apricots, even marshmallows.
- 3 ounces bittersweet chocolate, chopped
- 2 tablespoons heavy cream
- 1 tablespoon brewed espresso, (see Kitchen Tip)
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Pinch of salt
- 1 banana, peeled and cut into 8 pieces
- 8 1-inch chunks fresh pineapple
- 4 strawberries
- Place chocolate, cream, espresso, vanilla and salt in a medium microwave-safe bowl; microwave on Medium, stirring every 20 seconds, until melted, 1 to 2 minutes. (Alternatively, see “No Microwave?” below.)
- Pour the chocolate mixture into a serving bowl. Serve with fruit.
Tips & Notes
- Make Ahead Tip: Equipment: Fondue forks or bamboo skewers
- Kitchen Tip: If you don't have an espresso maker, look for instant espresso powder at your supermarket.
- No Microwave? Place chopped chocolate in the top of a double boiler over hot, but not boiling water. Gently stir until almost melted. Remove from the heat and stir until the chocolate melts completely.
Per serving: 345 calories; 19 g fat (10 g sat, 2 g mono); 20 mg cholesterol; 54 g carbohydrates; 4 g protein; 7 g fiber; 81 mg sodium; 382 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin C (90% daily value).
Carbohydrate Servings: 3
Exchanges: 2 fruit, 1 carbohydrate (other), 4 fat
More From EatingWell
On a weekend morning, there’s nothing better than a hot stack...
Skip the store-bought candies and make your own! Try our...
Whether you’re vegan or entertaining a vegan guest for...
Thanksgiving dinner isn’t complete without an apple pie or...
The season of decorative holiday cookies is one of the most...
Whether you're looking for a quick breakfast or a refreshing...
Sweet potato casserole is a traditional Thanksgiving side...
Chicken is always a favorite for anyone looking for a protein...
The tartness of fresh cranberries is a flavorful addition to...
Make your own pickles! Get the most out of summer’s bounty by...
A piping-hot bowl of soup is a satisfying meal for a cozy...
Our healthy carrot recipes will help you get your fill of...
In just 10 minutes, make a delicious Thanksgiving appetizer...
Don't let muffins fool you: they may sound healthy, but many...
When it’s chilly outside, there’s no better way to warm up...
Wake up with these delicious and healthy recipes for homemade...
- Total Time
- 15 minutes or less
- Main Ingredient
- Vegetarian, other
- Preparation/ Technique
- Valentine's Day
- Ease of Preparation
- January/February 2008