From EatingWell: January/February 2008
The chocolate will stiffen if it gets cold, so enjoy it while it's still warm. Skewer and dip anything you like—pear slices, dried apricots, even marshmallows.
- 3 ounces bittersweet chocolate, chopped
- 2 tablespoons heavy cream
- 1 tablespoon brewed espresso, (see Kitchen Tip)
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Pinch of salt
- 1 banana, peeled and cut into 8 pieces
- 8 1-inch chunks fresh pineapple
- 4 strawberries
- Place chocolate, cream, espresso, vanilla and salt in a medium microwave-safe bowl; microwave on Medium, stirring every 20 seconds, until melted, 1 to 2 minutes. (Alternatively, see “No Microwave?” below.)
- Pour the chocolate mixture into a serving bowl. Serve with fruit.
Tips & Notes
- Make Ahead Tip: Equipment: Fondue forks or bamboo skewers
- Kitchen Tip: If you don't have an espresso maker, look for instant espresso powder at your supermarket.
- No Microwave? Place chopped chocolate in the top of a double boiler over hot, but not boiling water. Gently stir until almost melted. Remove from the heat and stir until the chocolate melts completely.
Per serving: 345 calories; 19 g fat (10 g sat, 2 g mono); 20 mg cholesterol; 54 g carbohydrates; 4 g protein; 7 g fiber; 81 mg sodium; 382 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin C (90% daily value).
Carbohydrate Servings: 3
Exchanges: 2 fruit, 1 carbohydrate (other), 4 fat
More From EatingWell
When you need a little pick-me up, skip the sugar-laden energy...
The Meatless Monday movement is growing in popularity across...
If you work out in the morning, refuel with one of these...
Few things are more satisfying on a chilly night than a...
Sunscreen helps keep your skin healthy and beautiful,...
Baked potatoes are the perfect accompaniment to your favorite...
These quick dinner recipes are tastier, healthier versions of...
A great salad deserves a great dressing. So we've created...
These delicious slim-down dinners all clock in at just 400...
Spaghetti squash is the ultimate pasta impostor: it is a...
These spicy recipes are packed with flavor and metabolism-...
The DASH diet (Dietary Approaches to Stop Hypertension) may...
Weeknight meals are made easy with these 20-minute, low-...
The next time you’re thinking about ordering takeout, put...
When you surround yourself with healthy and delicious food,...
If you’re trying to slim down, our low-calorie dinners to...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 15 minutes or less
- Main Ingredient
- Vegetarian, other
- Preparation/ Technique
- Valentine's Day
- January/February 2008