From EatingWell: January/February 2008
The chocolate will stiffen if it gets cold, so enjoy it while it's still warm. Skewer and dip anything you like—pear slices, dried apricots, even marshmallows.
- 3 ounces bittersweet chocolate, chopped
- 2 tablespoons heavy cream
- 1 tablespoon brewed espresso, (see Kitchen Tip)
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Pinch of salt
- 1 banana, peeled and cut into 8 pieces
- 8 1-inch chunks fresh pineapple
- 4 strawberries
- Place chocolate, cream, espresso, vanilla and salt in a medium microwave-safe bowl; microwave on Medium, stirring every 20 seconds, until melted, 1 to 2 minutes. (Alternatively, see “No Microwave?” below.)
- Pour the chocolate mixture into a serving bowl. Serve with fruit.
Tips & Notes
- Make Ahead Tip: Equipment: Fondue forks or bamboo skewers
- Kitchen Tip: If you don't have an espresso maker, look for instant espresso powder at your supermarket.
- No Microwave? Place chopped chocolate in the top of a double boiler over hot, but not boiling water. Gently stir until almost melted. Remove from the heat and stir until the chocolate melts completely.
Per serving: 345 calories; 19 g fat (10 g sat, 2 g mono); 20 mg cholesterol; 54 g carbohydrates; 4 g protein; 7 g fiber; 81 mg sodium; 382 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin C (90% daily value).
Carbohydrate Servings: 3
Exchanges: 2 fruit, 1 carbohydrate (other), 4 fat
More From EatingWell
Our easy holiday appetizer recipes are great for a holiday...
Citrus fruit, such as grapefruit, lemons, limes and oranges,...
Kale and other dark leafy greens are a flavorful, vitamin-...
Making a quick and healthy dinner when you really pressed for...
A piping hot bowl of soup is the ultimate comfort food during...
Decadent cream-based soups are typically loaded with...
Enjoy seasonal fresh fruit even in winter with these healthy...
Winter salads can taste like a refreshing start to those...
Save money on food during the holiday season but still eat...
Pasta is a favorite comfort food—it’s quick, easy to cook and...
Picture this: You arrive home tired and frazzled, and the...
Our gluten-free cookie recipes are a healthy and delicious...
Whether you’re making Christmas cookies for your annual...
End your holiday meal on a sweet note with our healthy...
Spend more time with friends and family and less time in the...
Our festive holiday cocktails, including healthy recipes for...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 15 minutes or less
- Main Ingredient
- Vegetarian, other
- Preparation/ Technique
- Valentine's Day
- January/February 2008