Chocolate-Dipped Dried Apricots
From EatingWell: January/February 1996
Healthful bonbons are truly a gift of love.
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 2 strips lemon zest
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 1 cup water
- 24 dried apricots, (about 1/4 pound)
- 2 ounces bittersweet (not unsweetened) chocolate, coarsely chopped
- 1 tablespoon chopped peeled pistachios
- Line a baking sheet with wax paper and place a wire rack on top.
- Combine sugar, lemon zest, cinnamon stick and water in a small saucepan; bring to a boil, stirring to dissolve the sugar. Reduce the heat to medium and simmer for 3 minutes. Add apricots and gently simmer just until tender, 6 to 8 minutes. Transfer the apricots with a slotted spoon to the rack. Let cool completely.
- Melt chocolate in a small metal bowl set over a pan of barely simmering water. Dip half of a poached apricot in the chocolate, letting excess drip off. Sprinkle some chopped pistachios over the chocolate half and return the apricot to the rack. Repeat with the remaining apricots. (You will have some melted chocolate left over.) Refrigerate until the chocolate has set, about 20 minutes.
Tips & Notes
- Make Ahead Tip: Store in an airtight container, with wax paper between each layer, in the refrigerator for up to 1 week.
Per candy: 43 calories; 1 g fat (0 g sat, 0 g mono); 0 mg cholesterol; 9 g carbohydrates; 0 g protein; 1 g fiber; 0 mg sodium; 107 mg potassium.
Carbohydrate Servings: 1/2
Exchanges: 1/2 other carbohydrate
More From EatingWell
If you work out in the morning, refuel with one of these...
Our healthy Labor Day recipes are a delicious way to...
One-pot recipes are the perfect solution for easy weeknight...
Our healthy stir-fry recipes are full of fiber-rich...
Packed with a bounty of nutrients as well as fiber, green...
Store-bought packaged foods can make cooking or baking easier...
Whether grilled, seared, broiled, baked or made into burgers...
Whether you’re roasting beets, serving them sliced on a salad...
Celebrate summer with our summer dessert recipes made with...In the dog days of summer, you don’t have to turn on your stove...
When summer tomatoes from backyard gardens and farmstands hit...
In celebration of EatingWell's 10th anniversary we picked our...
These easy weeknight suppers are inspired by the bountiful...
Take advantage of summer's bounty of fresh produce with these...
Muffin tins are great for making more than just muffins,...
Use your charcoal grill or gas grill for more than just...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 1 hour or less
- 8 or more
- Preparation/ Technique
- January/February 1996