Chocolate Crepes with Orange-&-Chocolate Sauce
From EatingWell: January/February 1991
If you prefer, fill these chocolate crepes with vanilla frozen yogurt or fresh fruit instead of yogurt cheese.
- 6 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- Pinch of salt
- 1/4 cup skim milk
- 1 large egg
- 2 teaspoons canola oil, divided
- 1/4 cup water
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup water
- Zest from 2 oranges, cut into very thin strips
- 1 cup yogurt cheese, (see Tip)
- 2 1/2 tablespoons confectioners' sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Chocolate Sauce (recipe follows)
- To make crepes: Combine flour, cocoa, sugar, salt, milk, egg, 1 teaspoon oil and water in a food processor or blender and blend until smooth. Transfer to a bowl and refrigerate for 1 hour or for up to 24 hours.
- To make orange syrup: Combine sugar and water in a small saucepan. Bring to a boil, add orange zest, reduce heat to low and simmer, uncovered, for 20 to 25 minutes, or until the syrup has thickened and the zest is tender. Several times during the cooking, brush the sides of the saucepan with a pastry brush dipped in cold water to keep sugar crystals from forming on the sides. Remove from heat and let cool.
- To make filling: Whisk together yogurt cheese, confectioners' sugar and vanilla in a small bowl until well-blended. Cover and refrigerate.
- To cook and assemble crepes: If necessary, add 1 to 2 tablespoons water to crepe batter so that it has the consistency of light cream. Heat a small nonstick skillet or crepe pan over medium heat until a drop of water sizzles when sprinkled on the surface. Reduce heat to medium-low. Brush pan with a little of the remaining 1 teaspoon oil as needed to prevent sticking. Pour about 2 tablespoons batter on the skillet and swirl to coat the bottom evenly. Cook 30 to 40 seconds until the top of the crepe has a dull surface and the edges begin to curl. Flip and cook for 20 to 30 seconds, or until the crepe is firm. Remove to a plate and cover with a dry cloth. Repeat with remaining crepes. (The crepes may be stacked until served.)
- Place a crepe on a dessert plate. Spread 2 tablespoons of filling across the middle. Fold in half and spoon 1 tablespoon Chocolate Sauce over top or beside it. Spoon 2 teaspoons orange syrup and zest over the crepe. Repeat with remaining crepes.
Tips & Notes
- Make Ahead Tip: Crepe batter may be covered and chilled up to 1 day in advance.
- Tip: To make 1 cup of yogurt cheese, line a colander with a large cotton towel or double thickness of cheesecloth, and place the colander in the sink. Pour in 3 cups low-fat yogurt. After 15 minutes, transfer the colander to a bowl. Cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate for 24 hours or overnight. Gathering the edges of the towel together, gently squeeze out any remaining liquid. Transfer cheese to a separate container. Refrigerate until ready to use. Keeps 1 week.
Per serving: 221 calories; 4 g fat (2 g sat, 2 g mono); 32 mg cholesterol; 41 g carbohydrates; 7 g protein; 1 g fiber; 108 mg sodium; 304 mg potassium.
Carbohydrate Servings: 3
Exchanges: 3 other carbohydrate
More From EatingWell
You won’t waste half a day’s worth—or more—of calories with...
Celebrate summer’s fresh vegetables with our healthy recipes...
Getting your kids to eat healthy on a gluten-free diet can be...Chicken is a great ingredient for building a healthy and...
Gluten-free salads, soups and sides don’t have to be boring....
Healthy and slimming summer dinners shouldn’t be hard to find...
Beat the heat and embrace the flavors of summer with low-...
Our low-calorie pasta salad recipes will be a favorite dish...
Celebrate the season with EatingWell's best recipes from the...
Cool down with these healthy, homemade freezer pops. On hot...
If you find yourself short on time this summer, try these...
For a lighter option for dinner tonight, try making a quick...
Whether you’re a vegetarian or just looking to cut back on...
Eating meatless at least once a week has a host of health...
If you're looking for an easy, healthy meal idea for dinner...
These healthy vegan recipes take you on a virtual trip around...
- 8 or more
- Ease of Preparation
- Type of Dish
- Desserts, chocolate
- Total Time
- More than 1 hour
- January/February 1991