Chocolate Cookie Icing
From EatingWell: November/December 2013
This easy chocolate cookie icing recipe is healthier than traditional chocolate icing recipes as it has substantially less sugar. Unlike chocolate icing used for decorating cakes, this thinner icing is perfect for drizzling on cookies or to fill thumbprints.
- 3 1/2 ounces dark chocolate, coarsely chopped
- 1/4 cup whole milk
- 1/4 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 3 tablespoons confectioners’ sugar
- Put chocolate in a small, deep heatproof bowl. Set a fine sieve by the bowl. Put milk in a 2-cup microwave-safe glass measuring cup and microwave on High just until it begins to boil and foam up the sides, 40 to 60 seconds. Pour half the hot milk through the sieve onto the chocolate and let stand without stirring for about 2 minutes to soften the chocolate. Stir vigorously until smooth and the chocolate is mostly melted.
- Pour the remaining milk through the sieve into the bowl. Add vanilla. Stir vigorously until smooth. Sift sugar onto the mixture and stir in thoroughly.
- Use the icing as is for drizzling or let cool until thick enough to be piped or spread. To use as a filling for thumbprints, refrigerate until very cold and stiff.
Tips & Notes
- Make Ahead Tip: Cover and refrigerate for up to 5 days; use cold or let stand at room temperature until warm enough to spread.
- Decorate on parchment: When adding finishing touches to your cookies or cakes, place them on a large sheet of parchment paper before you decorate. The paper catches the excess, making cleanup a breeze.
Per teaspoon: 25 calories; 1 g fat (1 g sat, 0 g mono); 0 mg cholesterol; 4 g carbohydrates; 3 g added sugars; 0 g protein; 0 g fiber; 2 mg sodium; 19 mg potassium.
Carbohydrate Servings: 0
More From EatingWell
If you're looking for an easy, healthy meal idea for dinner...
Whether you’re celebrating Cinco de Mayo or throwing a...
Few things are closer to perfection than the first sweet...
Trying to clean up your diet? These low-calorie recipes are...
Make your own pickles! Get the most out of summer’s bounty by...
Whether you’re packing a healthy snack for yourself or your...
This Memorial Day, throw a barbecue or picnic with these...
Try making a healthy summer dip recipe or summer salsa recipe...
You won’t waste half a day’s worth—or more—of calories with...
Whether you're looking for a quick breakfast or a refreshing...
Fresh seasonal produce offers plenty of reasons to try one of...
Barbecue sauce, rubs and marinades are easy, healthy ways to...
Everyone loves a good, juicy burger recipe! But hamburgers...
As delicious as eating healthy can be, we all still crave our...
Whether grilled, seared, broiled, baked or made into burgers...
These easy weeknight suppers are inspired by the bountiful...
- Type of Dish
- Sauce/Condiment, sweet
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 15 minutes or less
- 8 or more
- Preparation/ Technique
- November/December 2013