Chocolate Cookie Icing
From EatingWell: November/December 2013
This easy chocolate cookie icing recipe is healthier than traditional chocolate icing recipes as it has substantially less sugar. Unlike chocolate icing used for decorating cakes, this thinner icing is perfect for drizzling on cookies or to fill thumbprints.
- 3 1/2 ounces dark chocolate, coarsely chopped
- 1/4 cup whole milk
- 1/4 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 3 tablespoons confectioners’ sugar
- Put chocolate in a small, deep heatproof bowl. Set a fine sieve by the bowl. Put milk in a 2-cup microwave-safe glass measuring cup and microwave on High just until it begins to boil and foam up the sides, 40 to 60 seconds. Pour half the hot milk through the sieve onto the chocolate and let stand without stirring for about 2 minutes to soften the chocolate. Stir vigorously until smooth and the chocolate is mostly melted.
- Pour the remaining milk through the sieve into the bowl. Add vanilla. Stir vigorously until smooth. Sift sugar onto the mixture and stir in thoroughly.
- Use the icing as is for drizzling or let cool until thick enough to be piped or spread. To use as a filling for thumbprints, refrigerate until very cold and stiff.
Tips & Notes
- Make Ahead Tip: Cover and refrigerate for up to 5 days; use cold or let stand at room temperature until warm enough to spread.
- Decorate on parchment: When adding finishing touches to your cookies or cakes, place them on a large sheet of parchment paper before you decorate. The paper catches the excess, making cleanup a breeze.
Per teaspoon: 25 calories; 1 g fat (1 g sat, 0 g mono); 0 mg cholesterol; 4 g carbohydrates; 3 g added sugars; 0 g protein; 0 g fiber; 2 mg sodium; 19 mg potassium.
Carbohydrate Servings: 0
More From EatingWell
In celebration of EatingWell's 10th anniversary we picked our...
These easy weeknight suppers are inspired by the bountiful...
Take advantage of summer's bounty of fresh produce with these...
Muffin tins are great for making more than just muffins,...
Use your charcoal grill or gas grill for more than just...
Potato salad is a favorite summer dish, but classic versions...
It’s no wonder that the Mediterranean diet is considered to...
Enjoy the world’s healthiest diet with these delicious...
Make your own pickles! Get the most out of summer’s bounty by...
Berries and fresh summer fruit star in our healthy homemade...
Pork tenderloin is an easy and healthy addition to your...
Our healthy pepper recipes, including recipes for bell...
Fresh, sun-ripened tomatoes not only taste wonderful, they...
For a quick and healthy dinner, make one of our easy stir-fry...
While nothing quite beats eating quickly boiled or grilled...
From healthy blueberry muffins and blueberry pancakes topped...
- Type of Dish
- Sauce/Condiment, sweet
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 15 minutes or less
- 8 or more
- Preparation/ Technique
- November/December 2013