Chocolate Cookie Icing
From EatingWell: November/December 2013
This easy chocolate cookie icing recipe is healthier than traditional chocolate icing recipes as it has substantially less sugar. Unlike chocolate icing used for decorating cakes, this thinner icing is perfect for drizzling on cookies or to fill thumbprints.
- 3 1/2 ounces dark chocolate, coarsely chopped
- 1/4 cup whole milk
- 1/4 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 3 tablespoons confectioners’ sugar
- Put chocolate in a small, deep heatproof bowl. Set a fine sieve by the bowl. Put milk in a 2-cup microwave-safe glass measuring cup and microwave on High just until it begins to boil and foam up the sides, 40 to 60 seconds. Pour half the hot milk through the sieve onto the chocolate and let stand without stirring for about 2 minutes to soften the chocolate. Stir vigorously until smooth and the chocolate is mostly melted.
- Pour the remaining milk through the sieve into the bowl. Add vanilla. Stir vigorously until smooth. Sift sugar onto the mixture and stir in thoroughly.
- Use the icing as is for drizzling or let cool until thick enough to be piped or spread. To use as a filling for thumbprints, refrigerate until very cold and stiff.
Tips & Notes
- Make Ahead Tip: Cover and refrigerate for up to 5 days; use cold or let stand at room temperature until warm enough to spread.
Per teaspoon: 25 calories; 1 g fat (1 g sat, 0 g mono); 0 mg cholesterol; 4 g carbohydrates; 3 g added sugars; 0 g protein; 0 g fiber; 2 mg sodium; 19 mg potassium.
Carbohydrate Servings: 0
More From EatingWell
Make cooking Thanksgiving dinner easier with these simple...
If hungry guests are on their way for Thanksgiving dinner,...
These healthy, flavorful Thanksgiving side dishes are...
Use wild rice in a variety of healthy side dishes, including...
One of the most iconic fall vegetables, squash is a versatile...
Sauces and relishes provide the sweet or savory flavor...
Tender, sweet and just a little nutty, Brussels sprouts add a...
Apple pie is a favorite fall dessert and pumpkin pie is an...
There's nothing more enticing than walking into the kitchen...
If you have celiac disease or are sensitive to gluten, there...
Serve one of these healthy vegetarian main dishes, and you're...
The holiday season is the perfect time to use fresh...
Winter salads can taste like a refreshing start to those...
If you’re looking for a quick and easy appetizer to make for...
Entertaining is made easy with these delicious brunch recipes...
Take the stress out of Thanksgiving with these easy, healthy...
- Type of Dish
- Sauce/Condiment, sweet
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 15 minutes or less
- 8 or more
- Preparation/ Technique
- November/December 2013