Chocolate Cookie Icing
From EatingWell: November/December 2013
This easy chocolate cookie icing recipe is healthier than traditional chocolate icing recipes as it has substantially less sugar. Unlike chocolate icing used for decorating cakes, this thinner icing is perfect for drizzling on cookies or to fill thumbprints.
- 3 1/2 ounces dark chocolate, coarsely chopped
- 1/4 cup whole milk
- 1/4 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 3 tablespoons confectioners’ sugar
- Put chocolate in a small, deep heatproof bowl. Set a fine sieve by the bowl. Put milk in a 2-cup microwave-safe glass measuring cup and microwave on High just until it begins to boil and foam up the sides, 40 to 60 seconds. Pour half the hot milk through the sieve onto the chocolate and let stand without stirring for about 2 minutes to soften the chocolate. Stir vigorously until smooth and the chocolate is mostly melted.
- Pour the remaining milk through the sieve into the bowl. Add vanilla. Stir vigorously until smooth. Sift sugar onto the mixture and stir in thoroughly.
- Use the icing as is for drizzling or let cool until thick enough to be piped or spread. To use as a filling for thumbprints, refrigerate until very cold and stiff.
Tips & Notes
- Make Ahead Tip: Cover and refrigerate for up to 5 days; use cold or let stand at room temperature until warm enough to spread.
Per teaspoon: 25 calories; 1 g fat (1 g sat, 0 g mono); 0 mg cholesterol; 4 g carbohydrates; 3 g added sugars; 0 g protein; 0 g fiber; 2 mg sodium; 19 mg potassium.
Carbohydrate Servings: 0
More From EatingWell
If planning out quick and healthy meals for your family is a...
Adding lean protein, such as chicken, turkey, lean beef, low-...
Canned tuna is a quick, healthy and delicious option for...
Wraps are a delicious and healthy alternative to standard...
From grilled steak to creamy chicken, our quick and healthy...
If you’re trying to cut back on carbs or are following a low-...
Asparagus, rhubarb, peas, artichokes, beets, carrots and more...
Take advantage of all of the spring’s fresh produce with our...
Quinoa is a superfood that is packed with fiber and protein...
Healthy scones are as easy to make as a quick bread and these...
Turkish, Lebanese and other Middle Eastern flavors star in...The easiest way to make your chicken sing—punch it up with fresh...
Our healthy lemon recipes are bursting with the bright,...
Preventing heart disease through diet is made easier with our...
Instead of going out for date night, stay in and cook a...
One-pot meals are great, but they often serve a crowd. These...
- Type of Dish
- Sauce/Condiment, sweet
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 15 minutes or less
- 8 or more
- Preparation/ Technique
- November/December 2013