Chocolate-Cinnamon Sheet Cake with Almond Cream
From EatingWell: April/May 2006
Sheet cakes are a potluck dream: the baking pan holds the cake and makes it wonderfully portable. This one is accompanied by an almond “cream” made from heavy cream and reduced-fat sour cream. Together, the cake and cream replicate the taste of Mexican chocolate with its undertones of almond and cinnamon. Or make cream cheese frosting and add 1/4 teaspoon almond extract.
- 3 ounces unsweetened chocolate, chopped
- 3/4 cup cake flour, (see Ingredient note)
- 3/4 cup whole-wheat pastry flour
- 1/4 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 1/2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 3 large eggs, at room temperature, separated
- 3/4 cup granulated sugar, divided
- 1/3 cup packed light brown sugar
- 5 tablespoons canola oil
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup 1% milk
- 1/3 cup heavy cream
- 3 tablespoons confectioners' sugar
- 1/3 cup reduced-fat sour cream
- 1 tablespoon amaretto, or 1/4 teaspoon almond extract
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- To prepare cake: Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Coat a 9-by-13-inch glass baking dish with cooking spray with flour. Alternatively, spray the pan with regular cooking spray, dust with flour and tap out the excess.
- Melt chocolate in the microwave on Medium in 30-second bursts, stirring after each burst to ensure even melting, until completely melted. (Alternatively, melt the chocolate in a double boiler over hot water, stirring constantly.) Set aside.
- Whisk cake flour, whole-wheat flour, cocoa, baking powder, cinnamon and salt in a medium bowl. Set aside.
- Beat egg whites in a clean medium bowl with an electric mixer on high speed until soft peaks form. Beat in 1/4 cup granulated sugar in a slow, steady stream. Continue beating until stiff peaks form.
- Beat the remaining 1/2 cup granulated sugar, brown sugar and oil in a large bowl on medium speed until combined. Beat in egg yolks one at a time, then melted chocolate and vanilla, scraping down the sides of the bowl as necessary, until combined.
- Add 1/2 cup milk to the egg-yolk mixture, beating on low speed, then add half the flour mixture. Beat in the remaining 1/2 cup milk, then the remaining flour mixture just until combined. Fold in the whites with a spatula, using long, even strokes. Scrape the batter into the prepared pan, spreading evenly to the edges.
- Bake until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out with a few moist crumbs attached, 25 to 30 minutes. Cool on a wire rack for at least 1 hour.
- To prepare almond cream: Beat cream and confectioners' sugar in a medium bowl with an electric mixer on medium-high speed until the mixture is the consistency of sour cream, about 1 minute. Add sour cream, amaretto (or almond extract), vanilla and cinnamon; beat to combine. Serve the cake with the almond cream.
Tips & Notes
- Make Ahead Tip: Cover the cake and store at room temperature for up to 1 day. Cover and refrigerate the almond cream for up to 1 day.
- Ingredient Note: Cake flour is a less dense, low-gluten form of milled flour. If you can't find it, use all-purpose flour, but reduce the amount used by 2 tablespoons per cup.
Per serving: 196 calories; 10 g fat (4 g sat, 4 g mono); 44 mg cholesterol; 25 g carbohydrates; 4 g protein; 2 g fiber; 151 mg sodium; 86 mg potassium.
Carbohydrate Servings: 1 1/2
Exchanges: 1 1/2 other carbohydrates, 1 1/2 fat
More From EatingWell
Onions are the perfect accompaniment to almost any savory...
Pesto is an easy way to add flavor without tons of extra...
Having a snack attack? Stock your fridge and pantry with...
Coffee is a healthy and flavorful addition to many desserts...
Coconut is a sweet addition to many healthy breakfast recipes...
The health perks of coffee only add to it's appeal for coffee...
If you’re looking for healthier food to enjoy during the...
Lentils are a versatile, budget-friendly and healthy addition...
Pork chops are a versatile and budget-friendly option for...
Apple recipes are a favorite fall fruit, whether you enjoy...
Make sure you have a quick and easy dinner ready to go next...
If you like your food hot—spicy, that is—we've got some...
Mediterranean cuisine is delicious: it’s rich in fruits,...
This Valentine’s Day, stay in with the ones you love and make...
Ring in the Chinese New Year with these healthy Chinese...
From grilled steak to creamy chicken, our quick and healthy...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- More than 1 hour
- 8 or more
- April/May 2006