Chocolate-Cinnamon Bread Pudding
From EatingWell: January/February 1995
While American-style cocoa certainly works in this recipe, Dutch-process cocoa produces a deeper color and richer flavor.
- 4 slices whole-wheat bread or white bread, torn into small pieces
- 2 large eggs
- 1 12-ounce can evaporated skim milk
- 3/4 cup light brown sugar
- 1/4 cup cocoa powder, preferably Dutch-process
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 ounce semisweet chocolate, chopped
- 3 cups nonfat vanilla or coffee frozen yogurt
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Coat an 8-inch square baking dish with nonstick cooking spray. Spread bread in the dish in an even layer.
- Whisk eggs in a medium bowl. Add evaporated skim milk, sugar, cocoa, vanilla and cinnamon; whisk the mixture until the sugar and cocoa dissolve. Pour the cocoa mixture over the bread. Mix in any unsoaked bread pieces. Sprinkle chocolate over the top and let stand for 10 minutes.
- Bake until puffed and set in the center, 35 to 40 minutes. Serve warm, with a scoop of frozen yogurt on top. The pudding is also good cold.
Per serving: 321 calories; 4 g fat (2 g sat, 1 g mono); 73 mg cholesterol; 62 g carbohydrates; 13 g protein; 3 g fiber; 218 mg sodium; 454 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Calcium (30% daily value).
Carbohydrate Servings: 3 1/2
Exchanges: 3 1/2 other carbohydrate
More From EatingWell
These healthy fruit bars are the perfect snack to put in your...
Celebrate summer with our summer dessert recipes made with...This collection of healthy potluck recipes is full of crowd-...These healthy bean salad recipes bring fresh summery life to the...
Brownies and blondies are crowd-pleasing desserts for any...
Our low-calorie pasta salad recipes will be a favorite dish...
Whether you're looking for a quick breakfast or a refreshing...
A tall glass of iced tea on a hot day is refreshing, and it...
If you’re in a rush and thinking about skipping breakfast,...
Using healthy ingredients such as nuts, dried fruit and whole...
Spinach might have made Popeye strong, but what he probably...
There’s no better way to celebrate Mother’s Day than by...
Sunscreen helps keep your skin healthy and beautiful,...
Save your waistline and your wallet with these quick and...
Our breakfast casserole recipes are a satisfying way to start...
We love Mexican meals, but often the differences between...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 1 hour or less
- Preparation/ Technique
- January/February 1995