Chocolate-Cinnamon Bread Pudding
From EatingWell: January/February 1995
While American-style cocoa certainly works in this recipe, Dutch-process cocoa produces a deeper color and richer flavor.
- 4 slices whole-wheat bread or white bread, torn into small pieces
- 2 large eggs
- 1 12-ounce can evaporated skim milk
- 3/4 cup light brown sugar
- 1/4 cup cocoa powder, preferably Dutch-process
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 ounce semisweet chocolate, chopped
- 3 cups nonfat vanilla or coffee frozen yogurt
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Coat an 8-inch square baking dish with nonstick cooking spray. Spread bread in the dish in an even layer.
- Whisk eggs in a medium bowl. Add evaporated skim milk, sugar, cocoa, vanilla and cinnamon; whisk the mixture until the sugar and cocoa dissolve. Pour the cocoa mixture over the bread. Mix in any unsoaked bread pieces. Sprinkle chocolate over the top and let stand for 10 minutes.
- Bake until puffed and set in the center, 35 to 40 minutes. Serve warm, with a scoop of frozen yogurt on top. The pudding is also good cold.
Per serving: 321 calories; 4 g fat (2 g sat, 1 g mono); 73 mg cholesterol; 62 g carbohydrates; 13 g protein; 3 g fiber; 218 mg sodium; 454 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Calcium (30% daily value).
Carbohydrate Servings: 3 1/2
Exchanges: 3 1/2 other carbohydrate
More From EatingWell
If you want to make the spread at your next party look...
Cool down with these healthy, homemade freezer pops. On hot...
If you’re looking for a new recipe to make for your Fourth of...
Put a fresh twist on your classic American fare with this...
From grilled chicken recipes to chicken salad recipes, our...
Having a snack attack? Stock your fridge and pantry with...
To round out your summer meal, enjoy one of our healthy...
Enjoy all the fruits and vegetables summer has to offer with...
What's a picnic without coleslaw and a salad? Our healthier...
You won’t waste half a day’s worth—or more—of calories with...
Beat the heat this summer with these easy recipes for your...
Fire up the grill, pull out the lawn chairs and celebrate...
Whether you’re in the mood for a sweet or salty snack, our...
We know summer can be a busy time of year, but be sure to...
Turmeric most often appears in Indian cuisine, as its flavor...
Cut saturated fat when you bake by swapping some of the...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 1 hour or less
- Preparation/ Technique
- January/February 1995