Chocolate-Cinnamon Bread Pudding
From EatingWell: January/February 1995
While American-style cocoa certainly works in this recipe, Dutch-process cocoa produces a deeper color and richer flavor.
- 4 slices whole-wheat bread or white bread, torn into small pieces
- 2 large eggs
- 1 12-ounce can evaporated skim milk
- 3/4 cup light brown sugar
- 1/4 cup cocoa powder, preferably Dutch-process
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 ounce semisweet chocolate, chopped
- 3 cups nonfat vanilla or coffee frozen yogurt
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Coat an 8-inch square baking dish with nonstick cooking spray. Spread bread in the dish in an even layer.
- Whisk eggs in a medium bowl. Add evaporated skim milk, sugar, cocoa, vanilla and cinnamon; whisk the mixture until the sugar and cocoa dissolve. Pour the cocoa mixture over the bread. Mix in any unsoaked bread pieces. Sprinkle chocolate over the top and let stand for 10 minutes.
- Bake until puffed and set in the center, 35 to 40 minutes. Serve warm, with a scoop of frozen yogurt on top. The pudding is also good cold.
Per serving: 321 calories; 4 g fat (2 g sat, 1 g mono); 73 mg cholesterol; 62 g carbohydrates; 13 g protein; 3 g fiber; 218 mg sodium; 454 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Calcium (30% daily value).
Carbohydrate Servings: 3 1/2
Exchanges: 3 1/2 other carbohydrate
More From EatingWell
If you work out in the morning, refuel with one of these...
Our healthy Labor Day recipes are a delicious way to...
One-pot recipes are the perfect solution for easy weeknight...
Our healthy stir-fry recipes are full of fiber-rich...
Packed with a bounty of nutrients as well as fiber, green...
Store-bought packaged foods can make cooking or baking easier...
Whether grilled, seared, broiled, baked or made into burgers...
Whether you’re roasting beets, serving them sliced on a salad...
Celebrate summer with our summer dessert recipes made with...In the dog days of summer, you don’t have to turn on your stove...
When summer tomatoes from backyard gardens and farmstands hit...
In celebration of EatingWell's 10th anniversary we picked our...
These easy weeknight suppers are inspired by the bountiful...
Take advantage of summer's bounty of fresh produce with these...
Muffin tins are great for making more than just muffins,...
Use your charcoal grill or gas grill for more than just...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 1 hour or less
- Preparation/ Technique
- January/February 1995