Chocolate-Cinnamon Bread Pudding
From EatingWell: January/February 1995
While American-style cocoa certainly works in this recipe, Dutch-process cocoa produces a deeper color and richer flavor.
- 4 slices whole-wheat bread or white bread, torn into small pieces
- 2 large eggs
- 1 12-ounce can evaporated skim milk
- 3/4 cup light brown sugar
- 1/4 cup cocoa powder, preferably Dutch-process
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 ounce semisweet chocolate, chopped
- 3 cups nonfat vanilla or coffee frozen yogurt
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Coat an 8-inch square baking dish with nonstick cooking spray. Spread bread in the dish in an even layer.
- Whisk eggs in a medium bowl. Add evaporated skim milk, sugar, cocoa, vanilla and cinnamon; whisk the mixture until the sugar and cocoa dissolve. Pour the cocoa mixture over the bread. Mix in any unsoaked bread pieces. Sprinkle chocolate over the top and let stand for 10 minutes.
- Bake until puffed and set in the center, 35 to 40 minutes. Serve warm, with a scoop of frozen yogurt on top. The pudding is also good cold.
Per serving: 321 calories; 4 g fat (2 g sat, 1 g mono); 73 mg cholesterol; 62 g carbohydrates; 13 g protein; 3 g fiber; 218 mg sodium; 454 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Calcium (30% daily value).
Carbohydrate Servings: 3 1/2
Exchanges: 3 1/2 other carbohydrate
More From EatingWell
In the dog days of summer, you don’t have to turn on your stove...Icebox pies are an easy and popular summer dessert, yet they're...Celebrate the season with EatingWell's best recipes from the...
Turkey sausage is a healthy, leaner alternative to...
You won’t waste half a day’s worth—or more—of calories with...
Celebrate summer’s fresh vegetables with our healthy recipes...
Getting your kids to eat healthy on a gluten-free diet can be...Chicken is a great ingredient for building a healthy and...
Gluten-free salads, soups and sides don’t have to be boring....
Healthy and slimming summer dinners shouldn’t be hard to find...
Beat the heat and embrace the flavors of summer with low-...
Our low-calorie pasta salad recipes will be a favorite dish...
Cool down with these healthy, homemade freezer pops. On hot...
If you find yourself short on time this summer, try these...
For a lighter option for dinner tonight, try making a quick...
Whether you’re a vegetarian or just looking to cut back on...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 1 hour or less
- Preparation/ Technique
- January/February 1995
Connect With Us
Poll of the week
- Skillet Gnocchi with Chard & White Beans (189 comments)
- Chilaquiles Casserole (103 comments)
- Hamburger Buddy (100 comments)
- Bev's Chocolate Chip Cookies (87 comments)
- Balsamic & Parmesan Roasted Cauliflower (74 comments)
- Easy Salmon Cakes (73 comments)
- Broccoli-Cheese Chowder (72 comments)
- Mini Mushroom-&-Sausage Quiches (63 comments)
- Sauteed Chicken Breasts with Creamy Chive Sauce (58 comments)
- Beef & Bean Chile Verde (52 comments)