Chocolate Chip Cookies
From EatingWell: March/April 1994
Here we use reduced-fat cream cheese in place of some of the butter to lower the fat in this version of the classic chocolate chip cookie.
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 2 ounces reduced-fat cream cheese, (Neufchâtel) (1/4 cup)
- 6 tablespoons packed light brown sugar
- 6 tablespoons granulated sugar
- 1 large egg
- 1 large egg white
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup semisweet chocolate chips, coarsely chopped, or mini chocolate chips
- Preheat oven to 375°F. Line 2 baking sheets with parchment paper or coat with cooking spray.
- Stir together flour, baking soda and salt in a medium bowl; set aside. Melt butter in a small saucepan over low heat. Cook, swirling the pan, until the butter turns nutty brown, 30 to 60 seconds. Pour into a large mixing bowl. Add cream cheese, brown sugar and granulated sugar. Beat with an electric mixer on low speed until smooth.
- Add egg, egg white and vanilla; beat until well incorporated. Add the reserved flour mixture and chocolate chips and stir with a wooden spoon just until combined. (The batter will be runny.)
- Drop the batter by rounded tablespoonfuls, 2 inches apart, onto the prepared baking sheets. Bake, one sheet at a time, until golden, 12 to 15 minutes. Transfer the cookies to racks and let cool.
Per cookie: 62 calories; 2 g fat (1 g sat, 0 g mono); 10 mg cholesterol; 10 g carbohydrates; 1 g protein; 0 g fiber; 70 mg sodium; 22 mg potassium.
Carbohydrate Servings: 1
Exchanges: 1/2 starch, 1 other carbohydrate, 1 fat
More From EatingWell
If you’re planning a holiday party this year, make...Celebrate the new year with EatingWell’s best healthy recipes!...
Eating a meatless dinner on Thanksgiving opens up a world of...Find inspiration for healthy holiday dining and entertaining...
Oatmeal is an ideal breakfast for cooler months and is arguably...
Try one of these 5-minute, healthy smoothie recipes for a...
Whether you're looking for a quick breakfast or a refreshing...
Eating too many added sugars may be taking a toll on our...
Indulge in something sweet with our delicious vegan dessert...
Black bean soup and black bean chili are delicious,...
Whether it’s breakfast, lunch or dinner, healthy wrap recipes...
If you’re looking for a budget-friendly option for dinner,...
Pull out your crock pot and make a delicious and hearty slow-...
Packed with iron, dietary fiber and thiamine, oats are a...
If you’re trying to cut back on carbs or are following a low-...
Apple pie is a favorite fall dessert and pumpkin pie is an...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 1 hour or less
- 8 or more
- Preparation/ Technique
- March/April 1994