Chocolate Chip Cookies
From EatingWell: March/April 1994
Here we use reduced-fat cream cheese in place of some of the butter to lower the fat in this version of the classic chocolate chip cookie.
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 2 ounces reduced-fat cream cheese, (Neufchâtel) (1/4 cup)
- 6 tablespoons packed light brown sugar
- 6 tablespoons granulated sugar
- 1 large egg
- 1 large egg white
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup semisweet chocolate chips, coarsely chopped, or mini chocolate chips
- Preheat oven to 375°F. Line 2 baking sheets with parchment paper or coat with cooking spray.
- Stir together flour, baking soda and salt in a medium bowl; set aside. Melt butter in a small saucepan over low heat. Cook, swirling the pan, until the butter turns nutty brown, 30 to 60 seconds. Pour into a large mixing bowl. Add cream cheese, brown sugar and granulated sugar. Beat with an electric mixer on low speed until smooth.
- Add egg, egg white and vanilla; beat until well incorporated. Add the reserved flour mixture and chocolate chips and stir with a wooden spoon just until combined. (The batter will be runny.)
- Drop the batter by rounded tablespoonfuls, 2 inches apart, onto the prepared baking sheets. Bake, one sheet at a time, until golden, 12 to 15 minutes. Transfer the cookies to racks and let cool.
Per cookie: 62 calories; 2 g fat (1 g sat, 0 g mono); 10 mg cholesterol; 10 g carbohydrates; 1 g protein; 0 g fiber; 70 mg sodium; 22 mg potassium.
Carbohydrate Servings: 1
Exchanges: 1/2 starch, 1 other carbohydrate, 1 fat
More From EatingWell
In the dog days of summer, you don’t have to turn on your stove...Icebox pies are an easy and popular summer dessert, yet they're...Celebrate the season with EatingWell's best recipes from the...
Turkey sausage is a healthy, leaner alternative to...
You won’t waste half a day’s worth—or more—of calories with...
Celebrate summer’s fresh vegetables with our healthy recipes...
Getting your kids to eat healthy on a gluten-free diet can be...Chicken is a great ingredient for building a healthy and...
Gluten-free salads, soups and sides don’t have to be boring....
Healthy and slimming summer dinners shouldn’t be hard to find...
Beat the heat and embrace the flavors of summer with low-...
Our low-calorie pasta salad recipes will be a favorite dish...
Cool down with these healthy, homemade freezer pops. On hot...
If you find yourself short on time this summer, try these...
For a lighter option for dinner tonight, try making a quick...
Whether you’re a vegetarian or just looking to cut back on...
- 8 or more
- Preparation/ Technique
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 1 hour or less
- March/April 1994