Chocolate Chip Cookies
From EatingWell: March/April 1994
Here we use reduced-fat cream cheese in place of some of the butter to lower the fat in this version of the classic chocolate chip cookie.
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 2 ounces reduced-fat cream cheese, (Neufchâtel) (1/4 cup)
- 6 tablespoons packed light brown sugar
- 6 tablespoons granulated sugar
- 1 large egg
- 1 large egg white
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup semisweet chocolate chips, coarsely chopped, or mini chocolate chips
- Preheat oven to 375°F. Line 2 baking sheets with parchment paper or coat with cooking spray.
- Stir together flour, baking soda and salt in a medium bowl; set aside. Melt butter in a small saucepan over low heat. Cook, swirling the pan, until the butter turns nutty brown, 30 to 60 seconds. Pour into a large mixing bowl. Add cream cheese, brown sugar and granulated sugar. Beat with an electric mixer on low speed until smooth.
- Add egg, egg white and vanilla; beat until well incorporated. Add the reserved flour mixture and chocolate chips and stir with a wooden spoon just until combined. (The batter will be runny.)
- Drop the batter by rounded tablespoonfuls, 2 inches apart, onto the prepared baking sheets. Bake, one sheet at a time, until golden, 12 to 15 minutes. Transfer the cookies to racks and let cool.
Per cookie: 62 calories; 2 g fat (1 g sat, 0 g mono); 10 mg cholesterol; 10 g carbohydrates; 1 g protein; 0 g fiber; 70 mg sodium; 22 mg potassium.
Carbohydrate Servings: 1
Exchanges: 1/2 starch, 1 other carbohydrate, 1 fat
More From EatingWell
Onions are the perfect accompaniment to almost any savory...
Pesto is an easy way to add flavor without tons of extra...
Having a snack attack? Stock your fridge and pantry with...
Coffee is a healthy and flavorful addition to many desserts...
Coconut is a sweet addition to many healthy breakfast recipes...
The health perks of coffee only add to it's appeal for coffee...
If you’re looking for healthier food to enjoy during the...
Lentils are a versatile, budget-friendly and healthy addition...
Pork chops are a versatile and budget-friendly option for...
Apple recipes are a favorite fall fruit, whether you enjoy...
Make sure you have a quick and easy dinner ready to go next...
If you like your food hot—spicy, that is—we've got some...
Mediterranean cuisine is delicious: it’s rich in fruits,...
This Valentine’s Day, stay in with the ones you love and make...
Ring in the Chinese New Year with these healthy Chinese...
From grilled steak to creamy chicken, our quick and healthy...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 1 hour or less
- 8 or more
- Preparation/ Technique
- March/April 1994