Chocolate Chip Cookies
From EatingWell: March/April 1994
Here we use reduced-fat cream cheese in place of some of the butter to lower the fat in this version of the classic chocolate chip cookie.
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 2 ounces reduced-fat cream cheese, (Neufchâtel) (1/4 cup)
- 6 tablespoons packed light brown sugar
- 6 tablespoons granulated sugar
- 1 large egg
- 1 large egg white
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup semisweet chocolate chips, coarsely chopped, or mini chocolate chips
- Preheat oven to 375°F. Line 2 baking sheets with parchment paper or coat with cooking spray.
- Stir together flour, baking soda and salt in a medium bowl; set aside. Melt butter in a small saucepan over low heat. Cook, swirling the pan, until the butter turns nutty brown, 30 to 60 seconds. Pour into a large mixing bowl. Add cream cheese, brown sugar and granulated sugar. Beat with an electric mixer on low speed until smooth.
- Add egg, egg white and vanilla; beat until well incorporated. Add the reserved flour mixture and chocolate chips and stir with a wooden spoon just until combined. (The batter will be runny.)
- Drop the batter by rounded tablespoonfuls, 2 inches apart, onto the prepared baking sheets. Bake, one sheet at a time, until golden, 12 to 15 minutes. Transfer the cookies to racks and let cool.
Per cookie: 62 calories; 2 g fat (1 g sat, 0 g mono); 10 mg cholesterol; 10 g carbohydrates; 1 g protein; 0 g fiber; 70 mg sodium; 22 mg potassium.
Carbohydrate Servings: 1
Exchanges: 1/2 starch, 1 other carbohydrate, 1 fat
More From EatingWell
Ready in 30 minutes or less, these healthy spring recipes are...
Whether you’re making soup for an appetizer or a main-course...
Few things are more satisfying on a chilly night than a...
Asparagus is high in folic acid and is a good source of...
Comfort foods are notoriously high in calories and saturated...
Entertaining is made easy with these delicious brunch recipes...
Spend less time in the kitchen; plug in your crock pot! Slow...
Healthy dinners that fit in one bowl are quick and convenient...
There's nothing better than a quick, easy and affordable...
Our low-calorie comfort food recipes are soothing, comforting...
Your slow cooker is the perfect tool to prepare an easy meal...
If you’re hoping to get a better night’s sleep, try adding...
Everyone is Irish on St. Patrick’s Day! Celebrate this year...
If planning out quick and healthy meals for your family is a...
Adding lean protein, such as chicken, turkey, lean beef, low-...
Canned tuna is a quick, healthy and delicious option for...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 1 hour or less
- 8 or more
- Preparation/ Technique
- March/April 1994