Chocolate Chip Cookies
From EatingWell: March/April 1994
Here we use reduced-fat cream cheese in place of some of the butter to lower the fat in this version of the classic chocolate chip cookie.
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 2 ounces reduced-fat cream cheese, (Neufchâtel) (1/4 cup)
- 6 tablespoons packed light brown sugar
- 6 tablespoons granulated sugar
- 1 large egg
- 1 large egg white
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup semisweet chocolate chips, coarsely chopped, or mini chocolate chips
- Preheat oven to 375°F. Line 2 baking sheets with parchment paper or coat with cooking spray.
- Stir together flour, baking soda and salt in a medium bowl; set aside. Melt butter in a small saucepan over low heat. Cook, swirling the pan, until the butter turns nutty brown, 30 to 60 seconds. Pour into a large mixing bowl. Add cream cheese, brown sugar and granulated sugar. Beat with an electric mixer on low speed until smooth.
- Add egg, egg white and vanilla; beat until well incorporated. Add the reserved flour mixture and chocolate chips and stir with a wooden spoon just until combined. (The batter will be runny.)
- Drop the batter by rounded tablespoonfuls, 2 inches apart, onto the prepared baking sheets. Bake, one sheet at a time, until golden, 12 to 15 minutes. Transfer the cookies to racks and let cool.
Per cookie: 62 calories; 2 g fat (1 g sat, 0 g mono); 10 mg cholesterol; 10 g carbohydrates; 1 g protein; 0 g fiber; 70 mg sodium; 22 mg potassium.
Carbohydrate Servings: 1
Exchanges: 1/2 starch, 1 other carbohydrate, 1 fat
More From EatingWell
In celebration of EatingWell's 10th anniversary we picked our...
These easy weeknight suppers are inspired by the bountiful...
Take advantage of summer's bounty of fresh produce with these...
Muffin tins are great for making more than just muffins,...
Use your charcoal grill or gas grill for more than just...
Potato salad is a favorite summer dish, but classic versions...
It’s no wonder that the Mediterranean diet is considered to...
Enjoy the world’s healthiest diet with these delicious...
Make your own pickles! Get the most out of summer’s bounty by...
Berries and fresh summer fruit star in our healthy homemade...
Pork tenderloin is an easy and healthy addition to your...
Our healthy pepper recipes, including recipes for bell...
Fresh, sun-ripened tomatoes not only taste wonderful, they...
For a quick and healthy dinner, make one of our easy stir-fry...
While nothing quite beats eating quickly boiled or grilled...
From healthy blueberry muffins and blueberry pancakes topped...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 1 hour or less
- 8 or more
- Preparation/ Technique
- March/April 1994