Chocolate Chip Bars
A bar version of the classic cookie, these slightly chewy chocolate-chip confections are a delight.
- 2/3 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 ounces reduced-fat cream cheese, (1/4 cup)
- 1/2 cup packed light brown sugar
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 1 large egg
- 1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup semisweet chocolate chips, coarsely chopped, or mini chocolate chips
- Preheat oven to 375°F. Coat an 8-by-12-inch or 7-by-11-inch baking pan with cooking spray. Set aside.
- Stir together flour, baking soda and salt in a mixing bowl; set aside. Melt butter in a small saucepan over low heat. Cook, swirling the pan, until the butter turns a nutty brown, 30 to 60 seconds. Pour into a large mixing bowl. Add cream cheese, brown sugar and white sugar. Beat with an electric mixer on low speed until smooth. Add egg and vanilla; beat until well incorporated. Add the reserved dry ingredients and chocolate chips and stir just until combined.
- Pour the batter into the prepared baking pan and bake until a skewer inserted in the center comes out clean, 20 to 25 minutes. Let cool completely in the pan on a wire rack. Cut into bars.
Tips & Notes
- Make Ahead Tip: Store in an airtight container at room temperature for up to 3 days.
Per serving: 125 calories; 4 g fat (3 g sat, 1 g mono); 20 mg cholesterol; 21 g carbohydrates; 2 g protein; 0 g fiber; 136 mg sodium; 38 mg potassium.
Carbohydrate Servings: 1 1/2
Exchanges: 1 1/2 other carbohydrate
More From EatingWell
Fresh, sun-ripened tomatoes not only taste wonderful, they...
Add these healthy and delicious recipes to your gluten-free...
When summer tomatoes from backyard gardens and farmstands hit...
When the produce section looks bleak, turn to the freezer....
If you’re craving an easy dessert tonight, we have just what...
The Meatless Monday movement is growing in popularity across...
Potassium plays a vital role in keeping your heart healthy...
Go beyond the gin and tonic this summer and mix up cocktails...
In the hot months of summer, cool down with a refreshing and...
Our nonalcoholic drink recipes, or “mocktails,” are festive...
Kick back and enjoy one of our delicious healthy summer punch...
During the busy workweek, these no-cook dinner recipes are...
Quinoa is a superfood that is packed with fiber and protein...
Fresh leeks are a delicious addition to many recipes. These...
Farmers’ markets and gardens are full of fresh and delicious...
Sardines (Pacific, wild-caught) are one of the healthiest...
- Preparation/ Technique
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- More than 1 hour
- 8 or more