Chocolate Chip Bars
A bar version of the classic cookie, these slightly chewy chocolate-chip confections are a delight.
- 2/3 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 ounces reduced-fat cream cheese, (1/4 cup)
- 1/2 cup packed light brown sugar
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 1 large egg
- 1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup semisweet chocolate chips, coarsely chopped, or mini chocolate chips
- Preheat oven to 375°F. Coat an 8-by-12-inch or 7-by-11-inch baking pan with cooking spray. Set aside.
- Stir together flour, baking soda and salt in a mixing bowl; set aside. Melt butter in a small saucepan over low heat. Cook, swirling the pan, until the butter turns a nutty brown, 30 to 60 seconds. Pour into a large mixing bowl. Add cream cheese, brown sugar and white sugar. Beat with an electric mixer on low speed until smooth. Add egg and vanilla; beat until well incorporated. Add the reserved dry ingredients and chocolate chips and stir just until combined.
- Pour the batter into the prepared baking pan and bake until a skewer inserted in the center comes out clean, 20 to 25 minutes. Let cool completely in the pan on a wire rack. Cut into bars.
Tips & Notes
- Make Ahead Tip: Store in an airtight container at room temperature for up to 3 days.
Per serving: 125 calories; 4 g fat (3 g sat, 1 g mono); 20 mg cholesterol; 21 g carbohydrates; 2 g protein; 0 g fiber; 136 mg sodium; 38 mg potassium.
Carbohydrate Servings: 1 1/2
Exchanges: 1 1/2 other carbohydrate
More From EatingWell
In the dog days of summer, you don’t have to turn on your stove...Icebox pies are an easy and popular summer dessert, yet they're...Celebrate the season with EatingWell's best recipes from the...
Turkey sausage is a healthy, leaner alternative to...
You won’t waste half a day’s worth—or more—of calories with...
Celebrate summer’s fresh vegetables with our healthy recipes...
Getting your kids to eat healthy on a gluten-free diet can be...Chicken is a great ingredient for building a healthy and...
Gluten-free salads, soups and sides don’t have to be boring....
Healthy and slimming summer dinners shouldn’t be hard to find...
Beat the heat and embrace the flavors of summer with low-...
Our low-calorie pasta salad recipes will be a favorite dish...
Cool down with these healthy, homemade freezer pops. On hot...
If you find yourself short on time this summer, try these...
For a lighter option for dinner tonight, try making a quick...
Whether you’re a vegetarian or just looking to cut back on...
- 8 or more
- Preparation/ Technique
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- More than 1 hour
Connect With Us
Poll of the week
- Skillet Gnocchi with Chard & White Beans (189 comments)
- Chilaquiles Casserole (103 comments)
- Hamburger Buddy (100 comments)
- Bev's Chocolate Chip Cookies (87 comments)
- Balsamic & Parmesan Roasted Cauliflower (74 comments)
- Easy Salmon Cakes (73 comments)
- Broccoli-Cheese Chowder (72 comments)
- Mini Mushroom-&-Sausage Quiches (63 comments)
- Sauteed Chicken Breasts with Creamy Chive Sauce (58 comments)
- Beef & Bean Chile Verde (52 comments)