Chocolate Chip Bars
A bar version of the classic cookie, these slightly chewy chocolate-chip confections are a delight.
- 2/3 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 ounces reduced-fat cream cheese, (1/4 cup)
- 1/2 cup packed light brown sugar
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 1 large egg
- 1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup semisweet chocolate chips, coarsely chopped, or mini chocolate chips
- Preheat oven to 375°F. Coat an 8-by-12-inch or 7-by-11-inch baking pan with cooking spray. Set aside.
- Stir together flour, baking soda and salt in a mixing bowl; set aside. Melt butter in a small saucepan over low heat. Cook, swirling the pan, until the butter turns a nutty brown, 30 to 60 seconds. Pour into a large mixing bowl. Add cream cheese, brown sugar and white sugar. Beat with an electric mixer on low speed until smooth. Add egg and vanilla; beat until well incorporated. Add the reserved dry ingredients and chocolate chips and stir just until combined.
- Pour the batter into the prepared baking pan and bake until a skewer inserted in the center comes out clean, 20 to 25 minutes. Let cool completely in the pan on a wire rack. Cut into bars.
Tips & Notes
- Make Ahead Tip: Store in an airtight container at room temperature for up to 3 days.
Per serving: 125 calories; 4 g fat (3 g sat, 1 g mono); 20 mg cholesterol; 21 g carbohydrates; 2 g protein; 0 g fiber; 136 mg sodium; 38 mg potassium.
Carbohydrate Servings: 1 1/2
Exchanges: 1 1/2 other carbohydrate
More From EatingWell
On a weekend morning, there’s nothing better than a hot stack...
Skip the store-bought candies and make your own! Try our...
Whether you’re vegan or entertaining a vegan guest for...
Thanksgiving dinner isn’t complete without an apple pie or...
The season of decorative holiday cookies is one of the most...
Whether you're looking for a quick breakfast or a refreshing...
Sweet potato casserole is a traditional Thanksgiving side...
Chicken is always a favorite for anyone looking for a protein...
The tartness of fresh cranberries is a flavorful addition to...
Make your own pickles! Get the most out of summer’s bounty by...
A piping-hot bowl of soup is a satisfying meal for a cozy...
Our healthy carrot recipes will help you get your fill of...
In just 10 minutes, make a delicious Thanksgiving appetizer...
Don't let muffins fool you: they may sound healthy, but many...
When it’s chilly outside, there’s no better way to warm up...
Wake up with these delicious and healthy recipes for homemade...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- More than 1 hour
- 8 or more
- Preparation/ Technique