Full of bright cherry flavor, these chewy chocolate cookies will disappear in no time!
- 1 cup dried cherries, chopped
- 1/4 cup cranberry juice
- 3/4 cup unsweetened cocoa powder, preferably Dutch-process
- 1/2 cup nonfat sweetened condensed milk
- 1/2 cup cherry or apple butter
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- 2 cups sweetened flaked coconut, divided
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Coat 2 baking sheets with cooking spray.
- Combine cherries and cranberry juice in a small saucepan. Bring to a simmer over low heat and cook, stirring frequently, until all the juice has been absorbed, about 2 minutes. Set aside to cool.
- Combine cocoa, condensed milk, cherry (or apple) butter and vanilla in a mixing bowl. Beat with an electric mixer until smooth and blended. Add the plumped cherries and 1 2/3 cups of the coconut; stir just until combined.
- Using 2 small spoons, form and drop 1-inch mounds onto the prepared baking sheet. Sprinkle the remaining coconut over the cookies. Bake until the cookies are no longer sticky and the coconut has begun to brown, 8 to 10 minutes. (Do not overbake; the cookies firm up slightly as they cool.) Transfer to a wire rack to cool completely.
Per cookie: 59 calories; 3 g fat (1 g sat, 0 g mono); 1 mg cholesterol; 11 g carbohydrates; 1 g protein; 1 g fiber; 17 mg sodium; 61 mg potassium.
Carbohydrate Servings: 1/2
Exchanges: 1/2 other carbohydrate
More From EatingWell
In the dog days of summer, you don’t have to turn on your stove...Icebox pies are an easy and popular summer dessert, yet they're...Celebrate the season with EatingWell's best recipes from the...
Turkey sausage is a healthy, leaner alternative to...
You won’t waste half a day’s worth—or more—of calories with...
Celebrate summer’s fresh vegetables with our healthy recipes...
Getting your kids to eat healthy on a gluten-free diet can be...Chicken is a great ingredient for building a healthy and...
Gluten-free salads, soups and sides don’t have to be boring....
Healthy and slimming summer dinners shouldn’t be hard to find...
Beat the heat and embrace the flavors of summer with low-...
Our low-calorie pasta salad recipes will be a favorite dish...
Cool down with these healthy, homemade freezer pops. On hot...
If you find yourself short on time this summer, try these...
For a lighter option for dinner tonight, try making a quick...
Whether you’re a vegetarian or just looking to cut back on...
- Preparation/ Technique
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 1 hour or less
- 8 or more