From EatingWell: July/August 1995
Dramatically dark in color, these chewy bars are studded with dried tart cherries.
- 2 large eggs
- 1 large egg white
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 cups chocolate wafer crumbs, (about 40 wafers)
- 1 cup chopped dried tart cherries, (4 ounces)
- 1/4 cup chopped walnuts
- Preheat oven to 325°F. Coat an 8-by-12-inch baking dish with nonstick cooking spray.
- Beat together eggs, egg white, sugar, vanilla and salt in a large bowl with an electric mixer on high speed until the eggs are thick and pale, about 2 minutes. Gently fold in chocolate wafer crumbs and cherries with a rubber spatula just until combined.
- Transfer the batter to the prepared baking dish; smooth the top. Sprinkle with walnuts. Bake until a knife inserted in the center comes out clean, 30 to 35 minutes.
- Let cool in the baking dish on a rack. Cut into 15 bars. Store at room temperature in an airtight container.
Per serving: 155 calories; 4 g fat (1 g sat, 1 g mono); 28 mg cholesterol; 27 g carbohydrates; 3 g protein; 1 g fiber; 139 mg sodium; 85 mg potassium.
Carbohydrate Servings: 2
Exchanges: 2 other carbohydrate
More From EatingWell
These healthy fruit bars are the perfect snack to put in your...
Celebrate summer with our summer dessert recipes made with...This collection of healthy potluck recipes is full of crowd-...These healthy bean salad recipes bring fresh summery life to the...
Brownies and blondies are crowd-pleasing desserts for any...
Our low-calorie pasta salad recipes will be a favorite dish...
Whether you're looking for a quick breakfast or a refreshing...
A tall glass of iced tea on a hot day is refreshing, and it...
If you’re in a rush and thinking about skipping breakfast,...
Using healthy ingredients such as nuts, dried fruit and whole...
Spinach might have made Popeye strong, but what he probably...
There’s no better way to celebrate Mother’s Day than by...
Sunscreen helps keep your skin healthy and beautiful,...
Save your waistline and your wallet with these quick and...
Our breakfast casserole recipes are a satisfying way to start...
We love Mexican meals, but often the differences between...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 45 minutes or less
- 8 or more
- Preparation/ Technique
- July/August 1995