From EatingWell: July/August 1995
Dramatically dark in color, these chewy bars are studded with dried tart cherries.
- 2 large eggs
- 1 large egg white
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 cups chocolate wafer crumbs, (about 40 wafers)
- 1 cup chopped dried tart cherries, (4 ounces)
- 1/4 cup chopped walnuts
- Preheat oven to 325°F. Coat an 8-by-12-inch baking dish with nonstick cooking spray.
- Beat together eggs, egg white, sugar, vanilla and salt in a large bowl with an electric mixer on high speed until the eggs are thick and pale, about 2 minutes. Gently fold in chocolate wafer crumbs and cherries with a rubber spatula just until combined.
- Transfer the batter to the prepared baking dish; smooth the top. Sprinkle with walnuts. Bake until a knife inserted in the center comes out clean, 30 to 35 minutes.
- Let cool in the baking dish on a rack. Cut into 15 bars. Store at room temperature in an airtight container.
Per serving: 155 calories; 4 g fat (1 g sat, 1 g mono); 28 mg cholesterol; 27 g carbohydrates; 3 g protein; 1 g fiber; 139 mg sodium; 85 mg potassium.
Carbohydrate Servings: 2
Exchanges: 2 other carbohydrate
More From EatingWell
In the dog days of summer, you don’t have to turn on your stove...Icebox pies are an easy and popular summer dessert, yet they're...Celebrate the season with EatingWell's best recipes from the...
Turkey sausage is a healthy, leaner alternative to...
You won’t waste half a day’s worth—or more—of calories with...
Celebrate summer’s fresh vegetables with our healthy recipes...
Getting your kids to eat healthy on a gluten-free diet can be...Chicken is a great ingredient for building a healthy and...
Gluten-free salads, soups and sides don’t have to be boring....
Healthy and slimming summer dinners shouldn’t be hard to find...
Beat the heat and embrace the flavors of summer with low-...
Our low-calorie pasta salad recipes will be a favorite dish...
Cool down with these healthy, homemade freezer pops. On hot...
If you find yourself short on time this summer, try these...
For a lighter option for dinner tonight, try making a quick...
Whether you’re a vegetarian or just looking to cut back on...
- 8 or more
- Preparation/ Technique
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 45 minutes or less
- July/August 1995
Connect With Us
Poll of the week
- Skillet Gnocchi with Chard & White Beans (189 comments)
- Chilaquiles Casserole (103 comments)
- Hamburger Buddy (100 comments)
- Bev's Chocolate Chip Cookies (87 comments)
- Balsamic & Parmesan Roasted Cauliflower (74 comments)
- Easy Salmon Cakes (73 comments)
- Broccoli-Cheese Chowder (72 comments)
- Mini Mushroom-&-Sausage Quiches (63 comments)
- Sauteed Chicken Breasts with Creamy Chive Sauce (58 comments)
- Beef & Bean Chile Verde (52 comments)