From EatingWell: July/August 1995
Dramatically dark in color, these chewy bars are studded with dried tart cherries.
- 2 large eggs
- 1 large egg white
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 cups chocolate wafer crumbs, (about 40 wafers)
- 1 cup chopped dried tart cherries, (4 ounces)
- 1/4 cup chopped walnuts
- Preheat oven to 325°F. Coat an 8-by-12-inch baking dish with nonstick cooking spray.
- Beat together eggs, egg white, sugar, vanilla and salt in a large bowl with an electric mixer on high speed until the eggs are thick and pale, about 2 minutes. Gently fold in chocolate wafer crumbs and cherries with a rubber spatula just until combined.
- Transfer the batter to the prepared baking dish; smooth the top. Sprinkle with walnuts. Bake until a knife inserted in the center comes out clean, 30 to 35 minutes.
- Let cool in the baking dish on a rack. Cut into 15 bars. Store at room temperature in an airtight container.
Per serving: 155 calories; 4 g fat (1 g sat, 1 g mono); 28 mg cholesterol; 27 g carbohydrates; 3 g protein; 1 g fiber; 139 mg sodium; 85 mg potassium.
Carbohydrate Servings: 2
Exchanges: 2 other carbohydrate
More From EatingWell
On a weekend morning, there’s nothing better than a hot stack...
Skip the store-bought candies and make your own! Try our...
Whether you’re vegan or entertaining a vegan guest for...
Thanksgiving dinner isn’t complete without an apple pie or...
The season of decorative holiday cookies is one of the most...
Whether you're looking for a quick breakfast or a refreshing...
Sweet potato casserole is a traditional Thanksgiving side...
Chicken is always a favorite for anyone looking for a protein...
The tartness of fresh cranberries is a flavorful addition to...
Make your own pickles! Get the most out of summer’s bounty by...
A piping-hot bowl of soup is a satisfying meal for a cozy...
Our healthy carrot recipes will help you get your fill of...
In just 10 minutes, make a delicious Thanksgiving appetizer...
Don't let muffins fool you: they may sound healthy, but many...
When it’s chilly outside, there’s no better way to warm up...
Wake up with these delicious and healthy recipes for homemade...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 45 minutes or less
- 8 or more
- Preparation/ Technique
- July/August 1995