From EatingWell: July/August 1995
Dramatically dark in color, these chewy bars are studded with dried tart cherries.
- 2 large eggs
- 1 large egg white
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 cups chocolate wafer crumbs, (about 40 wafers)
- 1 cup chopped dried tart cherries, (4 ounces)
- 1/4 cup chopped walnuts
- Preheat oven to 325°F. Coat an 8-by-12-inch baking dish with nonstick cooking spray.
- Beat together eggs, egg white, sugar, vanilla and salt in a large bowl with an electric mixer on high speed until the eggs are thick and pale, about 2 minutes. Gently fold in chocolate wafer crumbs and cherries with a rubber spatula just until combined.
- Transfer the batter to the prepared baking dish; smooth the top. Sprinkle with walnuts. Bake until a knife inserted in the center comes out clean, 30 to 35 minutes.
- Let cool in the baking dish on a rack. Cut into 15 bars. Store at room temperature in an airtight container.
Per serving: 155 calories; 4 g fat (1 g sat, 1 g mono); 28 mg cholesterol; 27 g carbohydrates; 3 g protein; 1 g fiber; 139 mg sodium; 85 mg potassium.
Carbohydrate Servings: 2
Exchanges: 2 other carbohydrate
More From EatingWell
If you're looking for an easy, healthy meal idea for dinner...
Whether you’re celebrating Cinco de Mayo or throwing a...
Few things are closer to perfection than the first sweet...
Trying to clean up your diet? These low-calorie recipes are...
Make your own pickles! Get the most out of summer’s bounty by...
Whether you’re packing a healthy snack for yourself or your...
This Memorial Day, throw a barbecue or picnic with these...
Try making a healthy summer dip recipe or summer salsa recipe...
You won’t waste half a day’s worth—or more—of calories with...
Whether you're looking for a quick breakfast or a refreshing...
Fresh seasonal produce offers plenty of reasons to try one of...
Barbecue sauce, rubs and marinades are easy, healthy ways to...
Everyone loves a good, juicy burger recipe! But hamburgers...
As delicious as eating healthy can be, we all still crave our...
Whether grilled, seared, broiled, baked or made into burgers...
These easy weeknight suppers are inspired by the bountiful...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 45 minutes or less
- 8 or more
- Preparation/ Technique
- July/August 1995