A simple, low-fat and—best of all—fast chocolate cake that is moist and dense.
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 1/2 tablespoons unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 large large egg, lightly beaten
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoons lemon juice
- 1/2 cup nonfat milk
- 1/2 cup hot water
- Sifted confectioners' sugar for dusting cake, (optional)
- Position rack in the center of the oven and preheat to 325°F. Oil and flour an 8-inch square cake pan.
- Sift together sugar, flour, cocoa, baking soda and salt into a large mixing bowl. Whisk together egg, oil and vanilla in a small bowl. Stir lemon juice into milk. Add to the egg mixture. Stir in hot water. Add the wet ingredients to the dry ingredients and stir until smooth.
- Turn batter out into the prepared pan. Bake until center springs back when pressed lightly and a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean, 30 to 35 minutes. Cool the cake upright on a wire rack for 10 minutes. Run a knife around the sides of the pan to loosen. Invert onto the rack, lift off pan and let cool completely. Place on a serving dish. Top with a light dusting of confectioners' sugar if desired.
Per serving: 126 calories; 2 g fat (0 g sat, 1 g mono); 18 mg cholesterol; 26 g carbohydrates; 2 g protein; 1 g fiber; 213 mg sodium; 52 mg potassium.
Carbohydrate Servings: 2
Exchanges: 1/2 starch, 1 other carbohydrate
More From EatingWell
Omega-3 fats are good for your heart and are found in fish...
These healthy sugar-free dessert recipes are a delicious and...
Stir-fries are an easy way to get dinner on the table fast...
Whether you're looking for a quick breakfast or a refreshing...
If you’re trying to slim down, our low-calorie dinners to...
Carbs have gotten a bad rap as a diet no-no, but whole grains...
When you’re trying to lose weight, you don’t need to skimp on...
The next time you’re thinking about ordering takeout, put...
Fresh seasonal produce offers plenty of reasons to try one of...
Baking a cake from scratch doesn’t have to be time-intensive...
There’s something oh-so-soothing about a bowl of creamy...
Our nutritionists have verified that these recipes do not...
Homemade desserts, including piping-hot apple pie, rich...
If you’re searching for an affordable and healthy meal for...
Our healthy lasagna recipes, including classic meat lasagna...
Make sure you have a quick and easy dinner ready to go next...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- More than 1 hour
- 8 or more
- Preparation/ Technique