A simple, low-fat and—best of all—fast chocolate cake that is moist and dense.
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 1/2 tablespoons unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 large large egg, lightly beaten
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoons lemon juice
- 1/2 cup nonfat milk
- 1/2 cup hot water
- Sifted confectioners' sugar for dusting cake, (optional)
- Position rack in the center of the oven and preheat to 325°F. Oil and flour an 8-inch square cake pan.
- Sift together sugar, flour, cocoa, baking soda and salt into a large mixing bowl. Whisk together egg, oil and vanilla in a small bowl. Stir lemon juice into milk. Add to the egg mixture. Stir in hot water. Add the wet ingredients to the dry ingredients and stir until smooth.
- Turn batter out into the prepared pan. Bake until center springs back when pressed lightly and a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean, 30 to 35 minutes. Cool the cake upright on a wire rack for 10 minutes. Run a knife around the sides of the pan to loosen. Invert onto the rack, lift off pan and let cool completely. Place on a serving dish. Top with a light dusting of confectioners' sugar if desired.
Per serving: 126 calories; 2 g fat (0 g sat, 1 g mono); 18 mg cholesterol; 26 g carbohydrates; 2 g protein; 1 g fiber; 213 mg sodium; 52 mg potassium.
Carbohydrate Servings: 2
Exchanges: 1/2 starch, 1 other carbohydrate
More From EatingWell
Fresh, sun-ripened tomatoes not only taste wonderful, they...
Add these healthy and delicious recipes to your gluten-free...
When summer tomatoes from backyard gardens and farmstands hit...
When the produce section looks bleak, turn to the freezer....
If you’re craving an easy dessert tonight, we have just what...
The Meatless Monday movement is growing in popularity across...
Potassium plays a vital role in keeping your heart healthy...
Go beyond the gin and tonic this summer and mix up cocktails...
In the hot months of summer, cool down with a refreshing and...
Our nonalcoholic drink recipes, or “mocktails,” are festive...
Kick back and enjoy one of our delicious healthy summer punch...
During the busy workweek, these no-cook dinner recipes are...
Quinoa is a superfood that is packed with fiber and protein...
Fresh leeks are a delicious addition to many recipes. These...
Farmers’ markets and gardens are full of fresh and delicious...
Sardines (Pacific, wild-caught) are one of the healthiest...
- 8 or more
- Preparation/ Technique
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- More than 1 hour