A simple, low-fat and—best of all—fast chocolate cake that is moist and dense.
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 1/2 tablespoons unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 large large egg, lightly beaten
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoons lemon juice
- 1/2 cup nonfat milk
- 1/2 cup hot water
- Sifted confectioners' sugar for dusting cake, (optional)
- Position rack in the center of the oven and preheat to 325°F. Oil and flour an 8-inch square cake pan.
- Sift together sugar, flour, cocoa, baking soda and salt into a large mixing bowl. Whisk together egg, oil and vanilla in a small bowl. Stir lemon juice into milk. Add to the egg mixture. Stir in hot water. Add the wet ingredients to the dry ingredients and stir until smooth.
- Turn batter out into the prepared pan. Bake until center springs back when pressed lightly and a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean, 30 to 35 minutes. Cool the cake upright on a wire rack for 10 minutes. Run a knife around the sides of the pan to loosen. Invert onto the rack, lift off pan and let cool completely. Place on a serving dish. Top with a light dusting of confectioners' sugar if desired.
Per serving: 126 calories; 2 g fat (0 g sat, 1 g mono); 18 mg cholesterol; 26 g carbohydrates; 2 g protein; 1 g fiber; 213 mg sodium; 52 mg potassium.
Carbohydrate Servings: 2
Exchanges: 1/2 starch, 1 other carbohydrate
More From EatingWell
If you're looking for an easy, healthy meal idea for dinner...
Whether you’re celebrating Cinco de Mayo or throwing a...
Few things are closer to perfection than the first sweet...
Trying to clean up your diet? These low-calorie recipes are...
Make your own pickles! Get the most out of summer’s bounty by...
Whether you’re packing a healthy snack for yourself or your...
This Memorial Day, throw a barbecue or picnic with these...
Try making a healthy summer dip recipe or summer salsa recipe...
You won’t waste half a day’s worth—or more—of calories with...
Whether you're looking for a quick breakfast or a refreshing...
Fresh seasonal produce offers plenty of reasons to try one of...
Barbecue sauce, rubs and marinades are easy, healthy ways to...
Everyone loves a good, juicy burger recipe! But hamburgers...
As delicious as eating healthy can be, we all still crave our...
Whether grilled, seared, broiled, baked or made into burgers...
These easy weeknight suppers are inspired by the bountiful...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- More than 1 hour
- 8 or more
- Preparation/ Technique