A simple, low-fat and—best of all—fast chocolate cake that is moist and dense.
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 1/2 tablespoons unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 large large egg, lightly beaten
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoons lemon juice
- 1/2 cup nonfat milk
- 1/2 cup hot water
- Sifted confectioners' sugar for dusting cake, (optional)
- Position rack in the center of the oven and preheat to 325°F. Oil and flour an 8-inch square cake pan.
- Sift together sugar, flour, cocoa, baking soda and salt into a large mixing bowl. Whisk together egg, oil and vanilla in a small bowl. Stir lemon juice into milk. Add to the egg mixture. Stir in hot water. Add the wet ingredients to the dry ingredients and stir until smooth.
- Turn batter out into the prepared pan. Bake until center springs back when pressed lightly and a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean, 30 to 35 minutes. Cool the cake upright on a wire rack for 10 minutes. Run a knife around the sides of the pan to loosen. Invert onto the rack, lift off pan and let cool completely. Place on a serving dish. Top with a light dusting of confectioners' sugar if desired.
Per serving: 126 calories; 2 g fat (0 g sat, 1 g mono); 18 mg cholesterol; 26 g carbohydrates; 2 g protein; 1 g fiber; 213 mg sodium; 52 mg potassium.
Carbohydrate Servings: 2
Exchanges: 1/2 starch, 1 other carbohydrate
More From EatingWell
You won’t waste half a day’s worth—or more—of calories with...
Celebrate summer’s fresh vegetables with our healthy recipes...
Getting your kids to eat healthy on a gluten-free diet can be...Chicken is a great ingredient for building a healthy and...
Gluten-free salads, soups and sides don’t have to be boring....
Healthy and slimming summer dinners shouldn’t be hard to find...
Beat the heat and embrace the flavors of summer with low-...
Our low-calorie pasta salad recipes will be a favorite dish...
Celebrate the season with EatingWell's best recipes from the...
Cool down with these healthy, homemade freezer pops. On hot...
If you find yourself short on time this summer, try these...
For a lighter option for dinner tonight, try making a quick...
Whether you’re a vegetarian or just looking to cut back on...
Eating meatless at least once a week has a host of health...
If you're looking for an easy, healthy meal idea for dinner...
These healthy vegan recipes take you on a virtual trip around...
- Preparation/ Technique
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- More than 1 hour
- 8 or more