From EatingWell: July/August 1995
The combination of full-flavored Dutch-process cocoa and moist brown sugar produces a classic fudgy brownie that is very low in fat. If you use American-style (nonalkalized) cocoa, add 1/2 teaspoon of baking soda to the dry ingredients to neutralize the slightly sour taste from the cocoa. For a pretty effect, drizzle the bars with melted chocolate.
- 1 cup sifted cake flour
- 1/2 cup Dutch-process cocoa powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 1/2 cups packed light brown sugar
- 1/4 cup canola oil
- 1/4 cup buttermilk
- 1 large egg
- 2 large egg whites
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Coat a 8-by-12-inch baking dish with cooking spray. Dust with a little flour, tapping out the excess, and set aside.
- Whisk together flour, cocoa and salt in a small bowl. Beat together brown sugar, oil, buttermilk, egg, egg whites and vanilla in a large bowl with an electric mixer on high speed until smooth, making sure no lumps of brown sugar remain. Add the dry ingredients and beat on low speed just until blended.
- Transfer the batter to the prepared baking dish. Bake just until a knife inserted in the center comes out clean, 25 to 30 minutes.
- Let cool in the baking dish on a rack. Cut into 15 bars. Store at room temperature in an airtight container.
Per serving: 151 calories; 7 g fat (1 g sat, 1 g mono); 14 mg cholesterol; 27 g carbohydrates; 2 g protein; 1 g fiber; 94 mg sodium; 26 mg potassium.
Carbohydrate Servings: 2
Exchanges: 2 other carbohydrate, 1 fat
More From EatingWell
If you work out in the morning, refuel with one of these...
Our healthy Labor Day recipes are a delicious way to...
One-pot recipes are the perfect solution for easy weeknight...
Our healthy stir-fry recipes are full of fiber-rich...
Packed with a bounty of nutrients as well as fiber, green...
Store-bought packaged foods can make cooking or baking easier...
Whether grilled, seared, broiled, baked or made into burgers...
Whether you’re roasting beets, serving them sliced on a salad...
Celebrate summer with our summer dessert recipes made with...In the dog days of summer, you don’t have to turn on your stove...
When summer tomatoes from backyard gardens and farmstands hit...
In celebration of EatingWell's 10th anniversary we picked our...
These easy weeknight suppers are inspired by the bountiful...
Take advantage of summer's bounty of fresh produce with these...
Muffin tins are great for making more than just muffins,...
Use your charcoal grill or gas grill for more than just...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- More than 1 hour
- 8 or more
- Preparation/ Technique
- July/August 1995