From EatingWell: July/August 1995
The combination of full-flavored Dutch-process cocoa and moist brown sugar produces a classic fudgy brownie that is very low in fat. If you use American-style (nonalkalized) cocoa, add 1/2 teaspoon of baking soda to the dry ingredients to neutralize the slightly sour taste from the cocoa. For a pretty effect, drizzle the bars with melted chocolate.
- 1 cup sifted cake flour
- 1/2 cup Dutch-process cocoa powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 1/2 cups packed light brown sugar
- 1/4 cup canola oil
- 1/4 cup buttermilk
- 1 large egg
- 2 large egg whites
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Coat a 8-by-12-inch baking dish with cooking spray. Dust with a little flour, tapping out the excess, and set aside.
- Whisk together flour, cocoa and salt in a small bowl. Beat together brown sugar, oil, buttermilk, egg, egg whites and vanilla in a large bowl with an electric mixer on high speed until smooth, making sure no lumps of brown sugar remain. Add the dry ingredients and beat on low speed just until blended.
- Transfer the batter to the prepared baking dish. Bake just until a knife inserted in the center comes out clean, 25 to 30 minutes.
- Let cool in the baking dish on a rack. Cut into 15 bars. Store at room temperature in an airtight container.
Per serving: 151 calories; 7 g fat (1 g sat, 1 g mono); 14 mg cholesterol; 27 g carbohydrates; 2 g protein; 1 g fiber; 94 mg sodium; 26 mg potassium.
Carbohydrate Servings: 2
Exchanges: 2 other carbohydrate, 1 fat
More From EatingWell
When you need a little pick-me up, skip the sugar-laden energy...
The Meatless Monday movement is growing in popularity across...
If you work out in the morning, refuel with one of these...
Few things are more satisfying on a chilly night than a...
Sunscreen helps keep your skin healthy and beautiful,...
Baked potatoes are the perfect accompaniment to your favorite...
These quick dinner recipes are tastier, healthier versions of...
A great salad deserves a great dressing. So we've created...
These delicious slim-down dinners all clock in at just 400...
Spaghetti squash is the ultimate pasta impostor: it is a...
These spicy recipes are packed with flavor and metabolism-...
The DASH diet (Dietary Approaches to Stop Hypertension) may...
Weeknight meals are made easy with these 20-minute, low-...
The next time you’re thinking about ordering takeout, put...
When you surround yourself with healthy and delicious food,...
If you’re trying to slim down, our low-calorie dinners to...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- More than 1 hour
- 8 or more
- Preparation/ Technique
- July/August 1995