From EatingWell: July/August 1995
The combination of full-flavored Dutch-process cocoa and moist brown sugar produces a classic fudgy brownie that is very low in fat. If you use American-style (nonalkalized) cocoa, add 1/2 teaspoon of baking soda to the dry ingredients to neutralize the slightly sour taste from the cocoa. For a pretty effect, drizzle the bars with melted chocolate.
- 1 cup sifted cake flour
- 1/2 cup Dutch-process cocoa powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 1/2 cups packed light brown sugar
- 1/4 cup canola oil
- 1/4 cup buttermilk
- 1 large egg
- 2 large egg whites
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Coat a 8-by-12-inch baking dish with cooking spray. Dust with a little flour, tapping out the excess, and set aside.
- Whisk together flour, cocoa and salt in a small bowl. Beat together brown sugar, oil, buttermilk, egg, egg whites and vanilla in a large bowl with an electric mixer on high speed until smooth, making sure no lumps of brown sugar remain. Add the dry ingredients and beat on low speed just until blended.
- Transfer the batter to the prepared baking dish. Bake just until a knife inserted in the center comes out clean, 25 to 30 minutes.
- Let cool in the baking dish on a rack. Cut into 15 bars. Store at room temperature in an airtight container.
Per serving: 151 calories; 7 g fat (1 g sat, 1 g mono); 14 mg cholesterol; 27 g carbohydrates; 2 g protein; 1 g fiber; 94 mg sodium; 26 mg potassium.
Carbohydrate Servings: 2
Exchanges: 2 other carbohydrate, 1 fat
More From EatingWell
Omega-3 fats are good for your heart and are found in fish...
These healthy sugar-free dessert recipes are a delicious and...
Stir-fries are an easy way to get dinner on the table fast...
Whether you're looking for a quick breakfast or a refreshing...
If you’re trying to slim down, our low-calorie dinners to...
Carbs have gotten a bad rap as a diet no-no, but whole grains...
When you’re trying to lose weight, you don’t need to skimp on...
The next time you’re thinking about ordering takeout, put...
Fresh seasonal produce offers plenty of reasons to try one of...
Baking a cake from scratch doesn’t have to be time-intensive...
There’s something oh-so-soothing about a bowl of creamy...
Our nutritionists have verified that these recipes do not...
Homemade desserts, including piping-hot apple pie, rich...
If you’re searching for an affordable and healthy meal for...
Our healthy lasagna recipes, including classic meat lasagna...
Make sure you have a quick and easy dinner ready to go next...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- More than 1 hour
- 8 or more
- Preparation/ Technique
- July/August 1995