Chocolate Bread Pudding with Custard Sauce
Rich chocolate filling and an orange-scented custard sauce take plain bread to new heights in this lovely combination of decadence and homey comfort.
- Orange-Scented Custard Sauce, (recipe follows)
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 2 teaspoons butter
- 8 1-inch slices whole-wheat sandwich bread, crusts removed, cut in half on the diagonal
- 1/3 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- Pinch of salt
- 2 1/2 cups low-fat milk
- 2 ounces good-quality bittersweet (not unsweetened) chocolate, chopped
- 2 large eggs
- 1/2 cup packed light brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Make Orange-Scented Custard Sauce and refrigerate.
- Preheat oven to 400°F.
- Heat oil and butter over low heat in a small saucepan just until butter melts. Brush both sides of the bread slices with butter mixture and place on a baking sheet. Bake until golden brown, 5 to 7 minutes per side.
- Overlap toasted bread slices in an ungreased 9-inch square baking dish. Reduce oven temperature to 325°.
- Whisk cocoa and salt in a medium saucepan. Gradually whisk in milk. Bring to a bare simmer over low heat. Remove from heat, add chocolate and whisk until it melts.
- Whisk eggs, brown sugar and vanilla in a medium bowl until blended. Gradually whisk hot chocolate mixture into egg mixture. Pour custard over bread in baking dish. Let stand for 15 minutes. Meanwhile, boil water for the water bath.
- Set baking dish in a roasting pan and place in the oven. Add boiling water to the roasting pan to reach halfway up sides of baking dish. Bake pudding until just set, 20 to 25 minutes. (It should still jiggle slightly in the center.) Remove baking dish from roasting pan and cool on a wire rack for about 20 minutes. Serve warm with Orange-Scented Custard Sauce.
Per serving: 309 calories; 12 g fat (5 g sat, 3 g mono); 94 mg cholesterol; 43 g carbohydrates; 12 g protein; 4 g fiber; 261 mg sodium; 153 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Calcium (20% daily value), Fiber (15% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 3
Exchanges: 1 starch, 1/2 low-fat milk, 1 1/2 other carbohydrate, 1 fat
More From EatingWell
When you need a little pick-me up, skip the sugar-laden energy...
The Meatless Monday movement is growing in popularity across...
If you work out in the morning, refuel with one of these...
Few things are more satisfying on a chilly night than a...
Sunscreen helps keep your skin healthy and beautiful,...
Baked potatoes are the perfect accompaniment to your favorite...
These quick dinner recipes are tastier, healthier versions of...
A great salad deserves a great dressing. So we've created...
These delicious slim-down dinners all clock in at just 400...
Spaghetti squash is the ultimate pasta impostor: it is a...
These spicy recipes are packed with flavor and metabolism-...
The DASH diet (Dietary Approaches to Stop Hypertension) may...
Weeknight meals are made easy with these 20-minute, low-...
The next time you’re thinking about ordering takeout, put...
When you surround yourself with healthy and delicious food,...
If you’re trying to slim down, our low-calorie dinners to...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- More than 1 hour
- 8 or more
- Preparation/ Technique