Chocolate-Banana Lunchbox Cake
From EatingWell: September/October 1994
To ensure that the chocolate-banana cake lasts long enough for at least one week's worth of lunches, wrap individual pieces in plastic wrap and store them in the freezer. This cake contains no eggs, so it is appropriate for anyone who has a sensitivity to them.
- 2 cups sifted cake flour
- 2 tablespoons unsweetened cocoa powder, (not Dutch-process)
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 cup mashed very ripe banana, (2 small bananas)
- 3/4 cup buttermilk
- 2/3 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/4 cup dark corn syrup
- 3 tablespoons canola oil
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- 1/3 cup chocolate chips
- 2 tablespoons chopped walnuts, or pecans
- Confectioner's sugar, for dusting
- Preheat oven to 400°F. Lightly oil an 8-by-11 1/2-inch baking dish or coat it with cooking spray.
- Whisk together flour, cocoa, baking soda and salt in a large bowl. Whisk together mashed banana, buttermilk, brown sugar, corn syrup, oil and vanilla in a medium bowl. Make a well in the center of the dry ingredients and add the wet ingredients; mix with a wooden spoon or rubber spatula just until the dry ingredients are moistened.
- Turn the batter into the prepared baking dish, smoothing the top. Sprinkle chocolate chips and nuts evenly over the top.
- Bake until a cake tester inserted in the center comes out clean, about 20 minutes. Let cool in the pan, dust with confectioners’ sugar and cut into squares.
Tips & Notes
- Make Ahead Tip: Store well-wrapped in the freezer for up to 1 month. Dust with confectioners' sugar once more before serving.
Per serving: 234 calories; 6 g fat (1 g sat, 3 g mono); 1 mg cholesterol; 43 g carbohydrates; 3 g protein; 1 g fiber; 235 mg sodium; 181 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Folate (18% daily value).
Carbohydrate Servings: 3
Exchanges: 3 other carbohydrate, 1 fat
More From EatingWell
Onions are the perfect accompaniment to almost any savory...
Pesto is an easy way to add flavor without tons of extra...
Having a snack attack? Stock your fridge and pantry with...
Coffee is a healthy and flavorful addition to many desserts...
Coconut is a sweet addition to many healthy breakfast recipes...
The health perks of coffee only add to it's appeal for coffee...
If you’re looking for healthier food to enjoy during the...
Lentils are a versatile, budget-friendly and healthy addition...
Pork chops are a versatile and budget-friendly option for...
Apple recipes are a favorite fall fruit, whether you enjoy...
Make sure you have a quick and easy dinner ready to go next...
If you like your food hot—spicy, that is—we've got some...
Mediterranean cuisine is delicious: it’s rich in fruits,...
This Valentine’s Day, stay in with the ones you love and make...
Ring in the Chinese New Year with these healthy Chinese...
From grilled steak to creamy chicken, our quick and healthy...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 1 hour or less
- 8 or more
- Preparation/ Technique
- September/October 1994