Chocolate-Banana Lunchbox Cake
From EatingWell: September/October 1994
To ensure that the chocolate-banana cake lasts long enough for at least one week's worth of lunches, wrap individual pieces in plastic wrap and store them in the freezer. This cake contains no eggs, so it is appropriate for anyone who has a sensitivity to them.
- 2 cups sifted cake flour
- 2 tablespoons unsweetened cocoa powder, (not Dutch-process)
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 cup mashed very ripe banana, (2 small bananas)
- 3/4 cup buttermilk
- 2/3 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/4 cup dark corn syrup
- 3 tablespoons canola oil
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- 1/3 cup chocolate chips
- 2 tablespoons chopped walnuts, or pecans
- Confectioner's sugar, for dusting
- Preheat oven to 400°F. Lightly oil an 8-by-11 1/2-inch baking dish or coat it with cooking spray.
- Whisk together flour, cocoa, baking soda and salt in a large bowl. Whisk together mashed banana, buttermilk, brown sugar, corn syrup, oil and vanilla in a medium bowl. Make a well in the center of the dry ingredients and add the wet ingredients; mix with a wooden spoon or rubber spatula just until the dry ingredients are moistened.
- Turn the batter into the prepared baking dish, smoothing the top. Sprinkle chocolate chips and nuts evenly over the top.
- Bake until a cake tester inserted in the center comes out clean, about 20 minutes. Let cool in the pan, dust with confectioners’ sugar and cut into squares.
Tips & Notes
- Make Ahead Tip: Store well-wrapped in the freezer for up to 1 month. Dust with confectioners' sugar once more before serving.
Per serving: 234 calories; 6 g fat (1 g sat, 3 g mono); 1 mg cholesterol; 43 g carbohydrates; 3 g protein; 1 g fiber; 235 mg sodium; 181 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Folate (18% daily value).
Carbohydrate Servings: 3
Exchanges: 3 other carbohydrate, 1 fat
More From EatingWell
Fresh, sun-ripened tomatoes not only taste wonderful, they...
Add these healthy and delicious recipes to your gluten-free...
When summer tomatoes from backyard gardens and farmstands hit...
When the produce section looks bleak, turn to the freezer....
If you’re craving an easy dessert tonight, we have just what...
The Meatless Monday movement is growing in popularity across...
Potassium plays a vital role in keeping your heart healthy...
Go beyond the gin and tonic this summer and mix up cocktails...
In the hot months of summer, cool down with a refreshing and...
Our nonalcoholic drink recipes, or “mocktails,” are festive...
Kick back and enjoy one of our delicious healthy summer punch...
During the busy workweek, these no-cook dinner recipes are...
Quinoa is a superfood that is packed with fiber and protein...
Fresh leeks are a delicious addition to many recipes. These...
Farmers’ markets and gardens are full of fresh and delicious...
Sardines (Pacific, wild-caught) are one of the healthiest...
- 8 or more
- Preparation/ Technique
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 1 hour or less
- September/October 1994