Chocolate-Banana Lunchbox Cake
From EatingWell: September/October 1994
To ensure that the chocolate-banana cake lasts long enough for at least one week's worth of lunches, wrap individual pieces in plastic wrap and store them in the freezer. This cake contains no eggs, so it is appropriate for anyone who has a sensitivity to them.
- 2 cups sifted cake flour
- 2 tablespoons unsweetened cocoa powder, (not Dutch-process)
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 cup mashed very ripe banana, (2 small bananas)
- 3/4 cup buttermilk
- 2/3 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/4 cup dark corn syrup
- 3 tablespoons canola oil
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- 1/3 cup chocolate chips
- 2 tablespoons chopped walnuts, or pecans
- Confectioner's sugar, for dusting
- Preheat oven to 400°F. Lightly oil an 8-by-11 1/2-inch baking dish or coat it with cooking spray.
- Whisk together flour, cocoa, baking soda and salt in a large bowl. Whisk together mashed banana, buttermilk, brown sugar, corn syrup, oil and vanilla in a medium bowl. Make a well in the center of the dry ingredients and add the wet ingredients; mix with a wooden spoon or rubber spatula just until the dry ingredients are moistened.
- Turn the batter into the prepared baking dish, smoothing the top. Sprinkle chocolate chips and nuts evenly over the top.
- Bake until a cake tester inserted in the center comes out clean, about 20 minutes. Let cool in the pan, dust with confectioners’ sugar and cut into squares.
Tips & Notes
- Make Ahead Tip: Store well-wrapped in the freezer for up to 1 month. Dust with confectioners' sugar once more before serving.
Per serving: 234 calories; 6 g fat (1 g sat, 3 g mono); 1 mg cholesterol; 43 g carbohydrates; 3 g protein; 1 g fiber; 235 mg sodium; 181 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Folate (18% daily value).
Carbohydrate Servings: 3
Exchanges: 3 other carbohydrate, 1 fat
More From EatingWell
When you need a little pick-me up, skip the sugar-laden energy...
The Meatless Monday movement is growing in popularity across...
If you work out in the morning, refuel with one of these...
Few things are more satisfying on a chilly night than a...
Sunscreen helps keep your skin healthy and beautiful,...
Baked potatoes are the perfect accompaniment to your favorite...
These quick dinner recipes are tastier, healthier versions of...
A great salad deserves a great dressing. So we've created...
These delicious slim-down dinners all clock in at just 400...
Spaghetti squash is the ultimate pasta impostor: it is a...
These spicy recipes are packed with flavor and metabolism-...
The DASH diet (Dietary Approaches to Stop Hypertension) may...
Weeknight meals are made easy with these 20-minute, low-...
The next time you’re thinking about ordering takeout, put...
When you surround yourself with healthy and delicious food,...
If you’re trying to slim down, our low-calorie dinners to...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 1 hour or less
- 8 or more
- Preparation/ Technique
- September/October 1994