Chocolate-Banana Lunchbox Cake
From EatingWell: September/October 1994
To ensure that the chocolate-banana cake lasts long enough for at least one week's worth of lunches, wrap individual pieces in plastic wrap and store them in the freezer. This cake contains no eggs, so it is appropriate for anyone who has a sensitivity to them.
- 2 cups sifted cake flour
- 2 tablespoons unsweetened cocoa powder, (not Dutch-process)
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 cup mashed very ripe banana, (2 small bananas)
- 3/4 cup buttermilk
- 2/3 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/4 cup dark corn syrup
- 3 tablespoons canola oil
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- 1/3 cup chocolate chips
- 2 tablespoons chopped walnuts, or pecans
- Confectioner's sugar, for dusting
- Preheat oven to 400°F. Lightly oil an 8-by-11 1/2-inch baking dish or coat it with cooking spray.
- Whisk together flour, cocoa, baking soda and salt in a large bowl. Whisk together mashed banana, buttermilk, brown sugar, corn syrup, oil and vanilla in a medium bowl. Make a well in the center of the dry ingredients and add the wet ingredients; mix with a wooden spoon or rubber spatula just until the dry ingredients are moistened.
- Turn the batter into the prepared baking dish, smoothing the top. Sprinkle chocolate chips and nuts evenly over the top.
- Bake until a cake tester inserted in the center comes out clean, about 20 minutes. Let cool in the pan, dust with confectioners’ sugar and cut into squares.
Tips & Notes
- Make Ahead Tip: Store well-wrapped in the freezer for up to 1 month. Dust with confectioners' sugar once more before serving.
Per serving: 234 calories; 6 g fat (1 g sat, 3 g mono); 1 mg cholesterol; 43 g carbohydrates; 3 g protein; 1 g fiber; 235 mg sodium; 181 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Folate (18% daily value).
Carbohydrate Servings: 3
Exchanges: 3 other carbohydrate, 1 fat
More From EatingWell
Our easy holiday appetizer recipes are great for a holiday...
Citrus fruit, such as grapefruit, lemons, limes and oranges,...
Kale and other dark leafy greens are a flavorful, vitamin-...
Making a quick and healthy dinner when you really pressed for...
A piping hot bowl of soup is the ultimate comfort food during...
Decadent cream-based soups are typically loaded with...
Enjoy seasonal fresh fruit even in winter with these healthy...
Winter salads can taste like a refreshing start to those...
Save money on food during the holiday season but still eat...
Pasta is a favorite comfort food—it’s quick, easy to cook and...
Picture this: You arrive home tired and frazzled, and the...
Our gluten-free cookie recipes are a healthy and delicious...
Whether you’re making Christmas cookies for your annual...
End your holiday meal on a sweet note with our healthy...
Spend more time with friends and family and less time in the...
Our festive holiday cocktails, including healthy recipes for...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 1 hour or less
- 8 or more
- Preparation/ Technique
- September/October 1994