Chocolate-Banana Lunchbox Cake
From EatingWell: September/October 1994
To ensure that the chocolate-banana cake lasts long enough for at least one week's worth of lunches, wrap individual pieces in plastic wrap and store them in the freezer. This cake contains no eggs, so it is appropriate for anyone who has a sensitivity to them.
- 2 cups sifted cake flour
- 2 tablespoons unsweetened cocoa powder, (not Dutch-process)
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 cup mashed very ripe banana, (2 small bananas)
- 3/4 cup buttermilk
- 2/3 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/4 cup dark corn syrup
- 3 tablespoons canola oil
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- 1/3 cup chocolate chips
- 2 tablespoons chopped walnuts, or pecans
- Confectioner's sugar, for dusting
- Preheat oven to 400°F. Lightly oil an 8-by-11 1/2-inch baking dish or coat it with cooking spray.
- Whisk together flour, cocoa, baking soda and salt in a large bowl. Whisk together mashed banana, buttermilk, brown sugar, corn syrup, oil and vanilla in a medium bowl. Make a well in the center of the dry ingredients and add the wet ingredients; mix with a wooden spoon or rubber spatula just until the dry ingredients are moistened.
- Turn the batter into the prepared baking dish, smoothing the top. Sprinkle chocolate chips and nuts evenly over the top.
- Bake until a cake tester inserted in the center comes out clean, about 20 minutes. Let cool in the pan, dust with confectioners’ sugar and cut into squares.
Tips & Notes
- Make Ahead Tip: Store well-wrapped in the freezer for up to 1 month. Dust with confectioners' sugar once more before serving.
Per serving: 234 calories; 6 g fat (1 g sat, 3 g mono); 1 mg cholesterol; 43 g carbohydrates; 3 g protein; 1 g fiber; 235 mg sodium; 181 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Folate (18% daily value).
Carbohydrate Servings: 3
Exchanges: 3 other carbohydrate, 1 fat
More From EatingWell
Boneless chicken thighs can take plenty of cooking without...
An outstanding salad dressing can take your salad from ho-hum...Oatmeal is an ideal breakfast for cooler months and is arguably...
Who says entertaining has to be reserved for the weekend only...
Peanut butter is a healthy ingredient and more versatile than...
If you’re watching your sodium intake, these low-sodium snack...
When it comes to making healthy slow cooker chicken recipes,...
Whether you’re packing a healthy snack for yourself or your...
When you’re watching your diet, snacking healthfully can keep...
Snacking (done right) can be a healthy way to curb your...
Muffin tins are great for making more than just muffins,...
Pasta is a favorite comfort food—it’s quick, easy to cook and...
When the temperature drops and the days get shorter, there's...
Having a snack attack? Stock your fridge and pantry with...
Low-fat cottage cheese is a healthy addition that adds...
Pass on store-bought snacks that are loaded with fat and...
- 8 or more
- Preparation/ Technique
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 1 hour or less
- September/October 1994