Chocolate Avocado Shake
From EatingWell: March/April 2013
This rich, healthy chocolate shake recipe is dairy-free and gets its creaminess from avocado instead of ice cream. If you aren’t avoiding dairy, you can use regular low-fat milk and any type of semisweet or bittersweet chocolate chips in place of the nondairy chocolate chips.
- 1 ripe avocado, halved and pitted
- 1 1/2 cups vanilla almond milk or other nondairy vanilla milk
- 3 tablespoons unsweetened cocoa powder
- 3 tablespoons brown sugar or maple syrup, or to taste
- 2 tablespoons nondairy semisweet chocolate chips, melted (see Tip)
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract, or to taste
- 12 ice cubes
- Scoop avocado into a blender; add milk, cocoa, brown sugar (or maple syrup), melted chocolate and vanilla. Pulse and puree until smooth. Add ice and puree until thick and frosty.
Tips & Notes
- To melt chocolate, microwave in a bowl on Medium (50%) for 1 minute. Stir, then continue microwaving on Medium, stirring every 20 seconds, until melted.
Per serving: 381 calories; 23 g fat (6 g sat, 10 g mono); 0 mg cholesterol; 45 g carbohydrates; 27 g added sugars; 5 g protein; 11 g fiber; 154 mg sodium; 491 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Potassium (23% daily value), Folate & Magnesium (21% dv), Calcium (19% dv), Vitamin C (17% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 2
Exchanges: 2 other carbohydrate, 4 fat
More From EatingWell
Onions are the perfect accompaniment to almost any savory...
Pesto is an easy way to add flavor without tons of extra...
Having a snack attack? Stock your fridge and pantry with...
Coffee is a healthy and flavorful addition to many desserts...
Coconut is a sweet addition to many healthy breakfast recipes...
The health perks of coffee only add to it's appeal for coffee...
If you’re looking for healthier food to enjoy during the...
Lentils are a versatile, budget-friendly and healthy addition...
Pork chops are a versatile and budget-friendly option for...
Apple recipes are a favorite fall fruit, whether you enjoy...
Make sure you have a quick and easy dinner ready to go next...
If you like your food hot—spicy, that is—we've got some...
Mediterranean cuisine is delicious: it’s rich in fruits,...
This Valentine’s Day, stay in with the ones you love and make...
Ring in the Chinese New Year with these healthy Chinese...
From grilled steak to creamy chicken, our quick and healthy...
- Ease of Preparation
- Type of Dish
- Beverages, smoothies
- Total Time
- 15 minutes or less
- Main Ingredient
- Vegetarian, other
- Preparation/ Technique
- March/April 2013