Chocolate Avocado Shake
From EatingWell: March/April 2013
This rich, healthy chocolate shake recipe is dairy-free and gets its creaminess from avocado instead of ice cream. If you aren’t avoiding dairy, you can use regular low-fat milk and any type of semisweet or bittersweet chocolate chips in place of the nondairy chocolate chips.
- 1 ripe avocado, halved and pitted
- 1 1/2 cups vanilla almond milk or other nondairy vanilla milk
- 3 tablespoons unsweetened cocoa powder
- 3 tablespoons brown sugar or maple syrup, or to taste
- 2 tablespoons nondairy semisweet chocolate chips, melted (see Tip)
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract, or to taste
- 12 ice cubes
- Scoop avocado into a blender; add milk, cocoa, brown sugar (or maple syrup), melted chocolate and vanilla. Pulse and puree until smooth. Add ice and puree until thick and frosty.
Tips & Notes
- To melt chocolate, microwave in a bowl on Medium (50%) for 1 minute. Stir, then continue microwaving on Medium, stirring every 20 seconds, until melted.
Per serving: 381 calories; 23 g fat (6 g sat, 10 g mono); 0 mg cholesterol; 45 g carbohydrates; 27 g added sugars; 5 g protein; 11 g fiber; 154 mg sodium; 491 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Potassium (23% daily value), Folate & Magnesium (21% dv), Calcium (19% dv), Vitamin C (17% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 2
Exchanges: 2 other carbohydrate, 4 fat
More From EatingWell
On a weekend morning, there’s nothing better than a hot stack...
Skip the store-bought candies and make your own! Try our...
Whether you’re vegan or entertaining a vegan guest for...
Thanksgiving dinner isn’t complete without an apple pie or...
The season of decorative holiday cookies is one of the most...
Whether you're looking for a quick breakfast or a refreshing...
Sweet potato casserole is a traditional Thanksgiving side...
Chicken is always a favorite for anyone looking for a protein...
The tartness of fresh cranberries is a flavorful addition to...
Make your own pickles! Get the most out of summer’s bounty by...
A piping-hot bowl of soup is a satisfying meal for a cozy...
Our healthy carrot recipes will help you get your fill of...
In just 10 minutes, make a delicious Thanksgiving appetizer...
Don't let muffins fool you: they may sound healthy, but many...
When it’s chilly outside, there’s no better way to warm up...
Wake up with these delicious and healthy recipes for homemade...
- Ease of Preparation
- Type of Dish
- Beverages, smoothies
- Total Time
- 15 minutes or less
- Main Ingredient
- Vegetarian, other
- Preparation/ Technique
- March/April 2013